Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default Tale Tell signs of an exhaust leak?

How can you know for sure if you have an exhaust leak? Any suggestions on how and what to check?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

What makes you think you have one? Did the sound change, lose power? Take off the heat shields and inspect the entire system. The gaskets would be the first place I would check and any place there is a weld, like a stepped header or mounting brackets. But check the entire system cause I've seen pipes crack straight down the side.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Road Master

Smoke from a stick of incense works great.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by red devil View Post
What makes you think you have one? Did the sound change, lose power? Take off the heat shields and inspect the entire system. The gaskets would be the first place I would check and any place there is a weld, like a stepped header or mounting brackets. But check the entire system cause I've seen pipes crack straight down the side.
I just all of a sudden starting hear this noise like alot of air. I took a piece of paper, folded it up, & put it where the pipes go into the engine. Then I revved it up. The paper did not move one bit on either head. Just a weird noise. I thought it was from the new engine guard I put on but I can hear it when it's sitting still. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Road Master

Loose shield maybe? Let it cool down and check all the way around the engine and exhaust looking for something that vibrates when you tap it. Is it a constant noise, or a pfft,pfft,pfft sound? If you do have a leak the smoke will show it a lot faster than a piece of folded up paper. Also check the junction between your header pipes and the muffler cans.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbob View Post
Loose shield maybe? Let it cool down and check all the way around the engine and exhaust looking for something that vibrates when you tap it. Is it a constant noise, or a pfft,pfft,pfft sound? If you do have a leak the smoke will show it a lot faster than a piece of folded up paper. Also check the junction between your header pipes and the muffler cans.
I will check out all of that tomorrow. Thanks man.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Prospect

Take a shop rag and hold it over the end of the mufflers and see if you can catch any leaks with the incense stick.

09 Street Bob

"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"
Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
One Of The Regulars

Ratbob hit the nail on the head. I tightened up the clamps on the heat shields and the sound went away. Thanks guys.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Road Master

noises SUCK - glad you found it!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Road Warrior

You'll hear a more pronounced "tikking" sound at speed and if you put your hand over the end of the exhaust at idle you'll be able to feel a slight "inward" sucking sensation.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 AM

P

Tags
check, exhaust, find, harley, inspect, leak, makes, motorcycle, pfft, signs, smoke, sound, sportster, sticks, symptoms