Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting after a very short ride

Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
ironscout
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting after a very short ride

Just bought my 2003 Dyna Wide Glide with really low miles. So low that I know it has been sitting around more than riding. Trying to figure out what, if anything is wrong. Had it to HD place for 5000 mile check up.

When I start it cold, full choke, it fires up every time. No problems and i'm on my way (with the choke off) shortly. When I ride for 40+ minutes I start with the choke off and it starts every time. When I ride for 2 to 25 minutes, though, it sometimes does not start after I stop. Tried removing the choke, tried half choke, tried full choke. Seems like a small amount of choke or no choke are what works. I took about 30+ minute ride the other day and stopped for gas. After about a 5 minute break I went to start it with the choke off and it did not start. Four more tries and the battery was dead. Replaced the battery with the Wal Mart brand (I know stupid, but not much else open 150 miles from home on Sunday). Had a friend charge it to full and put it on the next day. Started it cold, full choke and it fired right up. Rode back home with no issue, stopping twice. Next day I started it cold full choke and it fired up. Ran it for a few minutes and shut it off. Came back out 15 minutes later and started it up again half choke. Fired right up. Rode for 15 minutes, shut it off, went inside to open the garage door and came back out. Went to start it with no choke, wouldn't turn over. half choke, wouldn't turn over. Rolled it in the garage and wrote this. Any ideas anyone? I have a few, but wondered what people have to say. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Choke position has nothing to do with the engine cranking over. If it won't crank, you have an electrical issue.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
ironscout
3rd Gear

Any thoughts? I have a battery indicator with an idiot light on. I think it is 2 red, 2 yellow and 2 green. Just checked it cold and it read 2 red and 2 yellow. it runs on 2 red, 2 yellow and 2 green.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your battery should be fully charged. A fully charged battery should read 12.6V - 13.8V depending on battery design. Get a voltage meter and take a reading.

If the battery takes a full charge, let it set 2 - 3 days and take another reading. If you find that it won't hold a charge, replace it.

If the battery takes and holds a charge, run the bike for 20 - 30 min. then take another reading. If the voltage measures low, check your charging system.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
ironscout
3rd Gear

Thanks. That was my next move, but I have to go buy a voltage meter. The cheap one we have for small batteries didn't work very well. I was thinking since the idiot meter goes up when I ride that the charging system was at least working. I find it strange that the bike always starts cold no problem.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

The little lites are a helpful tool, it let's you know what kind of voltage is going to the battery. 1 green lite is about 13.2-13.6 v and two green lites is up to 14.2v. It will not indicate the amps to the battery. With the bike idling at 1000 rpms you should have at least 1 green lite. Riding around with 1 lite on will not sufficiently keep your battery at full charge when you are stopping and starting. Those Dyna's had a pretty anemic charging system. Use a smart tender battery charger if you aren't riding it for more than 30 minutes. Make sure your plugs are gapped properly, battery connections, connections on the main circuit breaker are nice and clean. A good alternative battery other than HD is Deka, East Penn. When starting a hot engine open the throttle justa little then crank. Don't sit there and twist it because the accelarator pump is squirting raw gas into the intake.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
ironscout
3rd Gear

Thanks. That's the second purchase, a trickle charger. I cleaned the battery connections, they look pretty good. Gotta check the main circuit breaker, though. Hold it open just a little while pressing the starter? I remember my older bikes saying to twist the accelerator twice before starting, but I don't do that.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
DXrider
Cruiser

you should try no choke and a bit of throttle. twist the throttle an 1/8th of a turn, hold it and then hit the starter. I bet it starts.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

An old (weak) battery will play with your mind. If the battery is stock, it's 7+ years old. I'd replace it anyway, but this would expedite things.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
ironscout
3rd Gear

Thanks for the input. This bike sat for a while, so I'm not sure what needs to be replaced or how old the parts are. So far i've changed the fluids and filter, air cleaner, battery and the plugs. I'm guessing the battery was dead and charged or old prior to me buying it. The multiple start attempts the last time did it in. Started it cold, full choke several times since then (with the new battery) and as usual, no issue. I do think i'm running it leaner than it wants to at the beginning, and that might explain why it won't always turn over after short rides. Also may have been a weak battery. All part of getting to know a carb bike after buying it. Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully this is behind me and I can enjoy getting dirt under my fingernails in the garage and bugs in my face on the road. Glad to be back on a bike!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting after a very short ride