Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 12.5" Apes on FXDB (cable length ?)

Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 AM
BdG74
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the insights! I was thinking about this particular mod for a while

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 AM
pthauvet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Makes sense to me. I kinda was thinking about that seeing how close the bars are to the top of the forks. Plus, I really like how those risers look (better than "real" risers actually). Thanks for the suggestion..
Hi, I'm am considering the same bars and I am not looking at tree replacement, I do also like the integrated riser, so one option is lower your forks flush with the tree, then change your fork cap with the following

http://rocketbobs.biz/shop/index.php...&product_id=88

It make things very clean, af far as lines go, if you like the apparence of your lines, I mean by this the curves they take on installed as stock, then you need to replace them, you can go without but lines will look stretch.....

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
condition1
Advanced

While I haven't actually replaced my bars yet, I'm in the process of trying to decide what I'm going to go with and have been doing a bit of research. Generally from what I understand most 12" in bars should work just fine with the stock cables.

BUT, the ones you are looking at are not only 2.5" taller than stock but they are also at least 3.5" wider. A lot of bars people put on (especially the z style) are actually narrower than stock so take that into consideration.

My guess would be not all the stock cables are going to be long enough with the wild 1's especially if you do any type of riser.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

i just put on a set of burley 12" and relocate sigs on my 2011 fxdb. they are taller and wider than stock bars and everything fit just fine. cables look good like they did before bar swap out. i did buy an extension kit for this swap but didnt use it.
maybe you should do the swap and then replace cables if they look too tight? save some $$ or get the cables and return em if you dont use em.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
I know I can probably search for this info, so sorry to ask, but I an in a hurry to get the info ASAP. I have a 2009 FXDB (Street Bob) and am about to have a set of internally wired Wild 1 Chubby 12.5 apes installed (WO502B = 12.5" Ape Hangers,
12-½"rise, 36-½" wide, 10" center, 12" pullback) and needed to know how long my replacement clutch and brake lines should be (from anyone that has done a similar installation). Part numbers would be a great benefit to me as well, possibly HD lines if anyone has used then (or if they make the required length). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(I will be relocating the turn signals to the fork legs with the HD part in case that matters)
Just gonna throw this out there. In the time it took you to submit this thread, you could have found the info you requested by the search function. I for one, come here for intresting threads and seeing the same old same day in and day out isnt what I have in mind.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I'm going to continue on this "uninteresting thread".

10" is stock mini ape height? I measured my stock mini apes on my 09 SB at about 12". This is from bottom of the bottom bar to top of the top bar. Am I measuring this wrong? Should it be from center line to center line? I've been thinking about moving up to 16" this winter, but I thought that wold only be a 4" increase, not 6".

Last edited by Mid-Night-Rider; 09-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 AM
oldlefty
Tourer

just going to throw this out there,
i cant speak for your bars but mine where 10" mini apes. i think that most street bobs came with the 10" but not sure. you will for sure need longer cables. possibly electrical extensions. i know that there are kits out there for what you need. check ebay.
if you check thru the thread near the top of dyna's forum that reads "important threads-best of dyna's" , you will find a bunch of links to bar swaps/apes. good thread to read thru. i did before i started my project. helped big time.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr764
Just gonna throw this out there. In the time it took you to submit this thread, you could have found the info you requested by the search function. I for one, come here for intresting threads and seeing the same old same day in and day out isnt what I have in mind.
And in the time it took you to read the OP and type your response, you could have been looking for more interesting threads instead of clicking on a 2 year old one - which, by the way, clearly states what the thread is going to be about... Just sayin'