Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke from oil breather

Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoke from oil breather

I really hate these good news/bad news stories... I finally got rid of the football and put on a Baron Big Air Kit (BAK). My knee no longer feels bruised all the time, but the drawback may be just as bad.

The BAK doesn't route the crankcase breather bolts into the air cleaner. Instead, they route up and out to open air. I was concerned about oil particles that would be in the air coming out of that building up, so I put a K&N breather on it. Now it looks good, but tends to have visible smoke coming out of it when I'm sitting at idle and I can smell the oil wafting up into my helmet.

What has everyone else done with regard to the crankcase breather routing when putting on an aftermarket air kit that doesn't route into the kit?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I've seen some setups where the oil vapors are routed to the bottom of the frame into a nice looking collection unit or into a small air filter, allowing the heads and lower end to breath without introducing the vapor into your engine to be reburned.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into the collector, but then that's one more maintenance thing my lazy butt would have to monitor. I ended up getting a spacer/bracket that routed the crankcase back into the throttle body opening (as opposed to into the a/c base plate. Hopefully that will keep the dripping to a minimum.

Sure smells a BOATLOAD better! It gave me the ability to pull my tank lift back out as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I run the Sifton breather with steel braided line down and under the front exhaust pipe. Even during the occasional pop, I cant see or smell smoke. And you really have to bend down to see the thing. My air cleaner has fittings to run it back in, I have just been to lazy to do so. But now you've got me wanting to clean my setup up a bit.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 08-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.