Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best suspension upgrade for a Fat Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Clocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best suspension upgrade for a Fat Bob?

I am looking to tour once a year and don't have the cash for a second bike. What could I do to my Fat Bob to make it a little more "tourable" for that once a year trip?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

For me the most important suspension upgrade I've done or even felt needed was adding the True-Track.

Unless you find the seat uncomfortable, and feel a seat is a part of the suspension, then a touring seat would be appropriate and would make a real difference, but a good one (I love my Corbin Dual Tour) is a big expense for use that amounts to once a year. . . . (Though I much prefer my Dual Tour to the stock seat, and it's a world of difference for my gal when she rides for me, so the Corbin is on all the time.)

Last edited by Robert Le Gras; 08-01-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

How does the true-track make the bike more comfy for longer rides, considering it does nothing for the suspension?

Clocker, is your bike uncomfortable now? What don't you like about it? Can't suggest any upgrades until you can pinpoint the problem areas. For all we know, your seat may need an upgrade.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Clocker
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Looks like a TT might be up for debate (unless it helps reduce overall movement of the bike then I could see it reducing fatigue) but the seat I could see and it may be expensive but still cheaper than buying a bagger.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

The TT only limits the movement of the engine in a lateral manner. It doesn't do anything to improve crappy suspension.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is uncomfortable for you, Harsh ride? handle bars, seat? How long can you ride with comfort now and what is the first thing that hurts?

You can put ricor intimidators in the front fork to take the edge off the sharp bumps. The FB uses 12 inch rear shocks, you can put longer ones on for the tour to give you more suspension travel. Neither of these are cheap. You can run the tires on the lower side of their suggested pressure range.

You can load up maybe 200 pounds to smooth out the ride .

A chassis stabilizer is not going to give you any touring comfort.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Clocker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ColdCase
So what is uncomfortable for you, Harsh ride? handle bars, seat? How long can you ride with comfort now and what is the first thing that hurts?

You can put ricor intimidators in the front fork to take the edge off the sharp bumps. The FB uses 12 inch rear shocks, you can put longer ones on for the tour to give you more suspension travel. Neither of these are cheap. You can run the tires on the lower side of their suggested pressure range.

You can load up maybe 200 pounds to smooth out the ride .

A chassis stabilizer is not going to give you any touring comfort.
For me the biggest issue are the constant little bumps. They wear me out in an hour or so. If there was a way to smooth that out I would be very happy. The seat seems fine and I was born with monkey arms so my reach to the handle bars is fine too.

Last edited by Clocker; 08-01-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Which area (front or rear) seems to need more attention?

Rear shocks... Ohlins (built to weight), Works (built to weight), Ricor (built to weight)...

Front springs... Progressive, Works (double and triple rate), Racetech Gold Valves, Ricor Intiminators, adjust sag on your bike...

I also forgot to mention a new front spring option I found. Patriot Genesis fork springs. Pretty cool looking and I'd love to try them out. A spring within a spring.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Ohlins 30 mm cartridges and Ohlins shocks are the absolute best upgrade you can do for your suspension. They are what is winning today at the track, there is no difference between track and street, just the valving values and springs.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

The point I was trying to make is that the True-Track is in my opinion the best suspension upgrade for the Fat Bob. It's the only one necessary, I find that the shocks front and back are quite good and certainly won't limit any long distance riding.

I found the True-Track, besides improving handling in general, specifically reduces fatiguing vibration in the footpegs.

I mean, the Fat Bob is not a sport bike and it's not a touring bike. If you want to go long distance without feeling bumps, that's what a tourer is for I guess. Or a Buick or a Lexus SUV. I've been fourteen plus hours in the saddle on trips and the Fat Bob suspension (with the True Track added, haven't done it without that addition) and the shocks are NOT a stumbling block to that FOR ME, I guess everyone is different. The stock seat would have my butt aching though.

Last edited by Robert Le Gras; 08-03-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the best suspension upgrade for a Fat Bob?