Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Bell Custom 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main direction that this thread was going in was towards finding a DOT 3/4 helmet that looks non bobblehead-like since it began with a post about a new DOT helmet with pics. I am not sure that is was about paying more for a custom helmet that looks better but provides no protection.

Actually, looking at their site, the helmets look too low profile (never thought I would say that). They look like plastic wigs!!

I think we all know by now, non DOT looks better (or usually does at least), but will do little to protect in a accident. Just hope your son was old enough to make the choice not to wear protective gear when on a bike (seen people make these types of choices for minors as passengers and it makes me cringe).

Originally Posted by moosh
when size matters, bought one of these (jk40) for my son this last Christmas..excellent helmet but not DOT... check size difference VS Biltwell VS Fulmer V2

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DJtl--zW1P...hells+comp.jpg

http://joeking-helmets101.blogspot.com/
http://joeking-speedshop.blogspot.com/
http://www.joeking.com.br

Last edited by DeathProof72; 08-18-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
moosh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your concern DP, my son is 23 and had a Biltwell (without spikes) prior to the JK I gave him.. my reply was for those who thought the Biltwell was the smallest 3/4 helmet available. I do not endorse anything but a full face helmet for any kind of head protection but what are you going to do if they won't listen. By the way the Biltwell felt like I could fold it, the JK is much more rigid.

Last edited by moosh; 08-18-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
HATZO1
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Here you go:

Fulmer (x2) VS Bell VS Biltwell

Similar, but I think the Fulmer rides a bit lower than the Bell, unless that other guy has a much longer forehead than me..
LOL Thats my big headed mug in the Black Bell. I do have a big forehead (Oval headed,LOL) If you look at some of the others that have them on here they seem to fit lower on the foreheads. As would figure they are all going to fit differently depending on your dome.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by HATZO1
LOL Thats my big headed mug in the Black Bell. I do have a big forehead (Oval headed,LOL) If you look at some of the others that have them on here they seem to fit lower on the foreheads. As would figure they are all going to fit differently depending on your dome.
Ahh, I see. Some helmets just fit that way too, in case anyone was looking at a Daytona 3/4, it DOES expose the forehead way too much on me even. And remarkably uncomfortable due to having soo little padding inside:

Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by moosh
thanks for your concern DP, my son is 23 and had a Biltwell (without spikes) prior to the JK I gave him.. my reply was for those who thought the Biltwell was the smallest 3/4 helmet available. I do not endorse anything but a full face helmet for any kind of head protection but what are you going to do if they won't listen. By the way the Biltwell felt like I could fold it, the JK is much more rigid.
Well, I AM DeathProof! Personally, I like the look of the Biltwell best, not the most low profile, but the shape and size just look best IMO (not a fan of the narrow sided helmets, tends to look even more wide on top as a result). Mostly I do actually wear full face lids, but in the summer I opt for DOT 3/4. For quick runs around the block, etc, I tend to cheat a bit and admittedly wear my Biltwells (I have 3 different greens, of coarse!) or my vintage refurbished Buco Poly. Anyone looking for a real vintage refurbished 3/4, check out Justified Defiance. They do great refurb work and prices are no worse than the lids we are talking about here:

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Dyna_Mark
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a silver and a matte black. The helmets are awesome. The face shields are birth control.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM
NR4TW
Tourer

While we're on the subject of the Bell 500 helmets and comparing them to other 3/4 helmets, can anyone tell me the difference between the 500 and the Bell R/T? I can see from the photos on the web that the R/T has venting, but are there other differences? The only real difference I can see is the venting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Wheelup
Banned
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

^ x2

Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Here you go:

Fulmer (x2) VS Bell VS Biltwell

Similar, but I think the Fulmer rides a bit lower than the Bell, unless that other guy has a much longer forehead than me..
thanks for the comparison........... that green one does bear a striking resemblance to the great gazoo though..........

Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I bought a brand new NOS Buco DOT off of ebay a few days ago. I didn't see this thread or I would have posted up a few pics along time ago. I started a thread in the general section about it. I bought it as a replacement to my stolen biltwell. Very low profile and still brand new, though 30 years sitting in a box. They are all over ebay for under 50 bucks and unlike biltwell which is just a piece of comfortable padded plastic, this thing actually has a legit solid and sturdy fiberglass shell. Its no where near the proterction of a new bell DOT, but its pretty low profile, and it actaully has DOT stickers on it. Just yet another option.

Quick Reply: Got my Bell Custom 500