Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire help?

I'm planing on rewiring my switches in my handlebars, going to drill holes and run wires inside the bars. The question is what kind of wire should I use? What gauge? any help at all would be appreciated!

Donnie

Old 09-02-2006, 01:44 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wire help?

I got no help for you but will be doing the same next week so i will be interested to hear what to use.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Probably don't have to be to heavy.... when the rain quits I'm going to take the seat and tank off so I can get to the ends under the tank. I'm going to splice them there then run the wires down inside the bars and back under the tank and reconnect them. But I will need about 6-8 inches longer. But anyways I will look at the wires and either take a good guess or cut a small piece and take it with me to get the gauge unless someone on here suggest or knows what to use. This will be done before Sunday afternoon so I will let you know and show you pics after the job is complete.

Thanks, Donnie

Old 09-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

18 gauge is what the HD shop said to use for all switch housing wires.... So I got a roll and I'm gonna do the job tomorrow, wish me luck!!

Donnie

Old 09-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Rocket350
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How did it go?

Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 AM
clayman
Road Master

Hey naz_man i was told that if you pop the rubber plug out of the neck that you could pull enough wire out to get to the connector. Not sure if this is true i havnt tried yet.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rocket350

How did it go?
Not good!! 4 hours and ended up putting it all back together!! 1 I couldn't get the tank off because of the cross over fuel line unless I broke the clamp but I didn't have another one so..... I don't even think taking off the tank would have helped me. The wires ran on the inside of the frame all the back under the seat and there was no way for me to track down which ones were which, a very tight mess with a PCIII shoved in the middle of it! It was time to splice them??? But where is a safe place to do so! BTW there are 7 wires on the clutch side and to splice all them in on place would make a big knot/mess and would be a problem either trying to get them in the bars or in the frame. SO....... Maybe unsolder from the switches and go that rout... Nope can't do that because the wires are made into the switches. I couldn't think of a way to splice the wires that the splice wouldn't be in the way or fit!! I guess I will have to pay the dealer to run them for me unless any of you guys know of a better/safer way to get the job done.

I did get my diamondback braided clutch cable on and it looks sweet, next up throttle cables.

Donnie [:@]

Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I was going to go this route as well until I learned what a PITA it would be to get it done. I don't want to splice into my wires to get them hidden, so I left them out. If you take it to the dealer, I am pretty sure they will do the same. As far as the fuel crossover, get the braided one, then you don't have to fool with those pesky clamps. The diamond braided stuff looks great. All of my lines up front are the diamond back except for the fuel line.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Check it out...

I used the harness extension kit referenced in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/m_620623/tm.htm

I was able to install them and run them internally without removing the tank (just loosened it and moved it back/propped it up). You can totally get to the Deutch connectors easily if you remove the plastic piece holding the harness inside the frame. They come with a little chart to document which pin goes where. It was relatively easy if you use some patience. No soldering involved and I was able to run the bundle through the bars using some blue painter's tape, some WD40 to lube the inside of the bars (Wild1 12.05 Chubs) and a guitar string to feed them through to the point I could get the end with some needle nose pliers.

There was plenty of slack to drop them out to a workable length without removing the tank. Do some study ahead of time (get the manual if you don't already) and you can do it. I'm totally non-mechanical, but, I did it. I'd never done anything like this before. If I can, you can.

Whiff

Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 AM
clayman
Road Master

Hey whiff, igot a question for you. Did your harness extender come with connectors at each end and if so how did you get them through the bars, did you cut them? thanks
Naz, i was thinking for when i did mine that i would cut the wires at diferent lengths to avoid getting a big lump in one spot, do you think that would work.

Quick Reply: Wire help?