Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove stock exhaust baffles ok?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM
heinigerich@yahoo.com
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put some cycle shacks on untill I did a 700 mile ride and they blued. I took the original pipes back out of the box and started messin around with them. I drilled the rivets popped the inards out and cut off the cat. I put it all back in and it sucked. NO Difference from stock. I pulled them back out and pulled the packing. STILL like stock. Pulled them again and decided to crank it up with nothing in them, just the 3 inch cans. WHOLLY JESUS. That was to damn loud. So I decided to cut the inner pipe that has the holes off at the cup that rivets to the inside of the pipe. I esentualy have a set of stock looking pipes that have been gutted and that sound allot like the cycle shacks. They have a bassy tone because of the big space where all of the packing and cat was. When you rip the throttle it pretty much sounds like straight pipes. I love it. Oh and I have been riding them for the last 3000 miles and not a damn thing wrong.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
stev0n
Road Master

took the baffles out of the stock exhaust the day I got my fxd.

Sounds great, a lot 'meaner' than my friend's deuce w/ shotguns & my mpg is about the same as another friends 96ci crossbones.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Capt E
Stage II

I wanted better sound,so after reading many post I decided to punch out my Baffles on a 09 electra glide,the next morning some friends and I left Breaux Bridge la,to Hill country in texas I lost power,enough that I will now not go back out again untill I have put some good pipes on,caused the bike to run hotter blued my pipes,not worth doing right its not worth doing at all,good lesson learned hard!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I came across this article looking to remove the baffels from my 11 WG...I think after reading all this I'm just going to leave them alone. No sense going to all this trouble just to have something that sounds "marginally" better and still not have what I want.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Cmdixon
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I was thinking of molesting my stock pipes, but after reading this I'm going to save up and buy the V&H short shots

The following users liked this post:
NOTBOB777 (07-18-2022)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

After losing a decent portion of my hearing over several decades of ignoring the cumutive damage, I decided to keep the stock exhaust on my '11 Custom and wear ear plugs, too. After the past three years of riding the stock exhaust do sound a little louder, but nothing like the Pythons or Rush used on previous Harleys.

Here in my locale, we have to get annual emissions/safety inspections, and I found leaving things alone made for a guaranteed renewal sticker. Oh, the quiet exhaust allows me to ride longer, too.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM
olddad64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baffel Removel

Drilled out the blocking baffles on my 08 FXD with a 1" drill and the bike sounds ok and it did not affect anything. Little louder and still "Runs Strong." No complaints and Cheaper than new pipes.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:52 PM
fullswedge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 10 DWG
thanks for the replys fellas. i am going to get v&h big shots in the spring but have been itching for more sound. guess i am just going to keep itching untill spring and do it right.
If your looking for a little louder, I have a pair of python 2 1/2 inch slip=ons I'll sell for $175. There in new condition.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:51 PM
tim31556
4th Gear
Default Louder baffels

Originally Posted by fullswedge
If your looking for a little louder, I have a pair of python 2 1/2 inch slip=ons I'll sell for $175. There in new condition.
I have a 2014 fatbob stock. I'm looking for louder pips.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

If you take the baffles out and are worried about losing back pressure…talk with the guys at DK Custom Products, one of the sponsors here of the forum…they make the Thunder Torque Inserts just for that…aka lollipops….I have them on my 110 and have had no issues…..I just haven't decided what exhaust I'm going with yet…..I'm thinking Patriot Defender with a tip added but not sure yet….good luck….DK Custom products link is on the right side of this page under the list of sponsors…they have some really cool **** on their site…..

Quick Reply: remove stock exhaust baffles ok?