Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HARLEY DAVIDSON HIGH SPEED WOBBLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 PM
mhbetzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HARLEY DAVIDSON HIGH SPEED WOBBLE

I have read the link at the top of the page and was wondering if anyone here has ever had this problem?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: HARLEY DAVIDSON HIGH SPEED WOBBLE

Fastest I've done on an 06 lowrider is 105. No wobble.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people talked about that problem with touring bikes but not anything alse.
and it seems to be fixed.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 AM
cardona007
Stage I

I was wondering if anyone has ever troubleshooted this high speed wobble on a Harley FXWG? I get a wobble at about 70mph. When I bought thebike the previous owner had lowered it 2 inches to make it lookbetter.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got up to a 100 on the softi today just on a straight and have never had a wobble, dam 120 mile cheesburger run[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
hd2000
Tourer

I have the same problem depending on the road at about 100 the front starts to wobble. Mines lowered in the front and back.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have experienced the wobble on my WG. Usually it's only when going 75-80+ around a curve starting after hitting a bump.

My front end is all custom...bought that way a couple years ago. Raked (+5°) triple tree, 4" over tubes, billet sliders, billet wheels, fat drag bars...

Right now I'm rebuilding the entire front end. Re-packing the steering head bearings, new orings, bushings, piston rings and fluid in the forks, and maybe progressive springs and an emulator kit as well.

Hopefully this will stabilize the ride a bit.

I wanted to install a fork brace, but I haven't found one that will work with the billet sliders I've got. I'd have to install on on the tubes. It would help, but I'd rather hold out and find one to put on the sliders.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raking just the trees will put the trail way out of whack, and will make any bike unstable at high speeds. This is most likely the reason for the wobble. Perse performance used to have a nice rakeand trail calculator on thier site. Have you done any front end Mods? I would check everything on the front end, Wheel runout, steering head bearing adjustment,wheel bearings etc.. Mark...

Old 03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: markdt
Raking just the trees will put the trail way out of whack, and will make any bike unstable at high speeds....
I used 2 different rake / trail calculators and came up with a whopping 1 to 1.5" of trail! I thought I read that the WG should be in the neighborhood of 4".

Not much I can do about it now. If it were a performace bike...I'd be fixing that.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I have an '05 wg and have never experience stability issues going in a striaght line (have only hit 100 a couple times, but go up into the 80's regularly).
I do have the issue as stated above when going through curves and hitting a bump. I also have a custom front end, but my rake did not change. I also have Progressive 440's in the rear that are .5" shorter than stock (maybe 1", cant remember)

I installed a Tru-Track last week and have been out once for a test drive. Overall stability seemed to improve. There are a couple curves in my area that give me a problem, but I couldn't really push the test since my wife decided she wanted to go with me. I was able to hit the test curve at 60 and feel the wobble. Normally 60 is the max I can take that curve with just me on, so I think I will notice an improvement when I hit it for the first time without the extra weight.

I have Progressive fork springs, but will be replacment them with straight rate springs from Race Tech, will also be putting the catridgre emulators from Race Tech in. Plan on starting that project this week.

Once the fork springs are done I will be replacing the stock tires with Metzlers. I've got a neighbor up the street that swears the Metz solve most of the wobble issues. He rides a bagger and he can take curves much faster than the other bagger buddies he rides with.

I will report on the effectiveness of each project as I go through them.

p.s. I will have a slightly used pair of Progressive fork springs to get rid of here shortly (41mm). PM me if you are interested... $40.00

Quick Reply: HARLEY DAVIDSON HIGH SPEED WOBBLE