Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI code

Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI code

So my bike is still sputtering every now and then. It's really getting on my nerves. Today it was especially bad a couple times to the point where the check engine light came on for about 10 seconds two different times. I checked for codes when I got home and it threw P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI. That's the only code showing. What should I do now. Is there a part that needs to be replaced?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:41 PM
upnorthbiker
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi nkauf21,
I have heard that the throttle stop screw, can come loose or even drop out.
Its used to set the TP sensor voltage, you may be able to read this voltage in your PC3 when you calibrate the TPS.and can use this readingif you have to set it up again.
A low TP volt will give your error code.
Its located on the throttle body and is I think is a 15 torq.
You will have to take the air filter assembly off to reset it.
Hope this helps,
Let me know how you get on.
Jeff

Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the A/C assembly start the bike and wiggle the TPS connector to see if you get any hiccups. Unplug the TPS and inspect the connector/wires for damage or corrosion, etc. Check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 3 on the TPS with an analog meter while you slowly rotate the throttle to check for a glitch in the switch. You can use a dvom, but be careful it is not auto ranging.
CB

Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick update, I haven't actually checked anything yet. I cleared the code and went out for a quick test ride to see if I could get it to throw a code again. It did, it started sputtering pretty bad at around 75 mph in 5th and 6th. In both gears it also had pretty weak throttle response. It gets progressively worse the higher the RPM's get. Not sure exactly since I don't have a tach but just from feel I can tell a difference. It will mildly sputter occasionally at lower RPM at all speeds but not to the point of throwing a check engine light. When the light comes on it's at the higher RPM's and it's sputtering pretty bad at the point.

I'm curious if my PCIII is having anything to do with this? I was thinking of taking off to see but I think it will run bad that way due to pipes and a/c anyways.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nkauf21
Quick update, I haven't actually checked anything yet. I cleared the code and went out for a quick test ride to see if I could get it to throw a code again. It did, it started sputtering pretty bad at around 75 mph in 5th and 6th. In both gears it also had pretty weak throttle response. It gets progressively worse the higher the RPM's get. Not sure exactly since I don't have a tach but just from feel I can tell a difference. It will mildly sputter occasionally at lower RPM at all speeds but not to the point of throwing a check engine light. When the light comes on it's at the higher RPM's and it's sputtering pretty bad at the point.

I'm curious if my PCIII is having anything to do with this? I was thinking of taking off to see but I think it will run bad that way due to pipes and a/c anyways.
Did it throw the same code?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Did it throw the same code?
Yes it did.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I do know how, I spent a couple hours last night reading and researching all the info I could find. Just looking to see if anyone else has some knowledge on this subject. Thanks for the help though.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
HDTech74
Tourer

the speedo doesn't always show all the codes.
what's in there for historic codes?
to really properly diagnose this problem you need a breakout box.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sensors have been known to fail ... if the throttle position sensor is not registering the correct info to the ECM, the computer won't know the amount of fuel to send to the injectors ... it all makes sense to me ....

Don't know how much the TPS sensor is; but, I replaced my crank position sensor (with only 27,000 mi) for $57 and installed it myself ....

R/
'Chop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI code