Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Hang Around
Arrow Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather

I have a 2008 Fat Bob with V&H pipes and a hypercharger. The bike sounds great and it runs great too (even after a recent oil leak). I was thinking about installing a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather simply for looks, but I love the performance now. Does anyone have any experience or opinions regarding switching out a hypercharger for a heavy breather primarily for looks? Is performance affectedthat much? I've read and understand the statistics between the two, but come on....the Heavy Breather just looks great. Still, I am not willing to sacrifice performance. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Rider

I don't think it would be much difference in performance strictly from bolting it on vs what you have now, carbs and throttle bodies can only suck in so much air at a time. Tuning it for that specific setup will determine your power. Changing your air to fuel mix is always going to change your performance somewhat, I'd say it wont be enuff to tell unless dyno'd. On another note I do know if I take my round cover off to show the big sucker filter and run the bike it really affects how the bike runs at idle. More air causes it to cough and sputter but adding the round cover on it makes it run right.

Pagan Gold paint with powder coated wheels, downtubes, headlight, handle bars, guage mount, rear struts, 6 inch risers, Arlen Ness mirror, Screaming Eagle heavy breather, Dbi chrome forward controls, chrome buttons and levers, chopped rear fender with road 6 customs side mount lighted license plate, screamin eagle race fueler, 2010 Fatbob pipes.

Last edited by Jarhead08; 08-18-2010 at 08:23 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Ultimate HDF Member
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001795912964
Send a message via Yahoo to dope_man_21

I was steered away from the hyper-charger by my dealer, the reason being that "they" said some of the people (not all) lost power with the hyper-charger over the K&N heavy breather, and that the hyper-charger needed X amount of vacuum just to operator the butterfly. I dunno if any of this is true, I took the safe way out.

LIFE, in the end no one gets out of it alive

2007 FXDSE (GONE but not forgotten)
FLTRX in Sedona Orange w/ 103 powerpack
Patriot Guard #156315
Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Road Warrior

I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the hypercharger, although gaudy and stupid looking, perform like **** as well.

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome.
In the end, we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Extreme HDF Member

A Hypercharger will make you the coolest dude in the trailer park, though.

1977 XLH, Nearly bone stock.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Hang Around
Default And the winner is....

Thanks for the feedback. Heavy breather it is!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Road Captain

Cant go wrong with the Heavy Breather. seems like everbody notice's it and has some questions about.
Attached Thumbnails
Hypercharger vs Heavy Breather-hvbrt.jpg  
HD Heavy Breather-PC- V
Linby Multi-Bar
Typhoon Custom Wheels
2009 SuperGlide (RIP Feb 1,2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead08 View Post
I don't think it would be much difference in performance strictly from bolting it on vs what you have now, carbs and throttle bodies can only suck in so much air at a time. Tuning it for that specific setup will determine your power. Changing your air to fuel mix is always going to change your performance somewhat, I'd say it wont be enuff to tell unless dyno'd. On another note I do know if I take my round cover off to show the big sucker filter and run the bike it really affects how the bike runs at idle. More air causes it to cough and sputter but adding the round cover on it makes it run right.
Hey jarhead....... I just noticed the pipes on your street bob; they look great. Funny thing is those pipes are one of the things I absolutely hate about the fatbob but for some reason they look killer on your SB...... nicely done.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Pacific Northwest; I'm a Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals
Send a message via Yahoo to PKellyMc

H-B....coolness factor alone.

Patrick, CAS*
Watch out for the Invisible Man. Who's he? You are. Remember, all motorists are Blind and Crazy; they can be counted on only to do the unexpected.

* Cheap-Ass Scotsman '06 DWG, Stg-1, 546-mi, ebay - $12.5K; '07 RKC, 13K-mi, ebay - $7K
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryPunk View Post
I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the hypercharger, although gaudy and stupid looking, perform like **** as well.
Ha! Well done...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 AM

P

Tags
2010, big, breather, breathers, charger, glide, harley, heavy, hyper, hypercharger, hyperchargers, leak, lighted, oil, wide, wimmer