Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaned the bike...won't fire up!! Help Please!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cleaned the bike...won't fire up!! Help Please!

I washed the bike with a pressure washer....which I sinced realized is not a great idea. It fired up and rode fine but within ten minutes it started surging and backfiring...then died. I have tried to start it and wants to turn over...fires up for a brief second and then dies.
Any ideas how to fix this....I checked the connections and they all seem dry...would water in the air intake be a problem?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably water in your PC 3, disconnect it and see if it runs.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Water in the intake could definately be a problem.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks boys...I'll give it a try. When I tried to fire it up it looked like some steam or smoke came out of the heavy breather for a second....

Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Always cover an open air filter before soaking with water.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Always cover an open air filter before soaking with water.
No disrespect but I have an open a/c and go caught in some serious storms this past weekend. Friday, saturday and sunday. Not once did my bike shut down from "water in the intake" or sputter. These were "I can't see 20ft in front of me" storms.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its water in the PC connector, mine had the same symptoms when I got water in the grey connector on my PC-5... Took it off let it dry in the sun, I was back on the road in 45 minutes

Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
No disrespect but I have an open a/c and go caught in some serious storms this past weekend. Friday, saturday and sunday. Not once did my bike shut down from "water in the intake" or sputter. These were "I can't see 20ft in front of me" storms.

Your much luckier than i am then, every time i get in a rain, even with a rain sock on it eventually starts sputtering and if I have to open the throttle more it will just die..i have been trying to figure out how to stop it.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Moisture related probs are a pain. In the mean time I would put dialectric grease on all electrical conections, bulb sockets, nomex connectors, etc. Maybe they already have, worth checking. Yea, pressure washers are not kind to harleys, unless you're real careful where you spray. For grease, I use some stuff called on-line, its a mold cleaner as in injection molding machines, don't know if the public can buy it or not. But any degreaser I think would work. Whenever I take anything to do with electrical apart I always put grease on it.I'm big on anti-seize where needed and dialectric grease on juiced contacts. So far things have been good. just fyi, dialectric grease allows eletrical connection, but abhors water.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 08-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 PM
MamacitaSteph
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future washing, my husband used lemon Pledge. It gets all the dirt, grime, and bugs off and leave it with a nice shine. You may want to try it instead of the pressure washer. That can't be good for the paint job either. Hope you figure out your problem and get back on the road soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cleaned the bike...won't fire up!! Help Please!