Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Turn Signal Disassembly

I just got a hold of a set or OWM rear turn signals that I am trying to take apart for powdercoating (chrome to Black, of coarse), but am having some trouble taking the wiring apart.

I was able to take the lens off easily, but the clip on the end of the wire will not pass through the stalk to remove it and I cannot figure out how to get the light assemblyout of the housing completely. I want to try to do this without cutting any wires if possible. Any help ASAP would be appreciated:

Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to take the wires out of the connector. Then you can get the wires out. Then take a small flat head screw driver and pry the chrome lenses out of the bullet they are pressed in but will come out. Or cut and rewire and buy some shrink tube.

Last edited by Jarhead08; 09-09-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

to get the reflector out of the housing snip a coat hanger wire,bend in half,put a small 90 degree bend in each of the ends and hook it in where the bulb sockets and pull the reflector out

Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info. I got the assembly apart, but since I could not get the clip off the wires, I just cut them as I will be swapping out for my internal wires anyway..

Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 AM
_Rikki_
Intermediate

You need a small, pointy piece of metal/tool to "lift" the retaining "block" inside the connector to be able to pull the cable out. It´s worth learning, will make your electrical life much easier. Check out some videos on youtube on the subject. When you reassemble i think it´s a good idea to take out the rubber "fit" that the lampsocket goes into, and put it on the socket before pushing it into the housing. If the lamp doesn´t work after reassemble it´s most probably the black wire thats not touching the spring inside, just bend the metal out against it.

i used a screwdriver to remove the socket, but i think Sumpnuts coathanger would be the prefeered way (smallest damage risk) of doing it.

Btw, are you going to powdercoat the "arm/bracket" also? I just painted one of my turnsignals black (scratch) but kept the bracket in chrome, looks cool IMO.
/Rikki

Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

To get the reflector lens out I took out the bulb and used a large screwdriver in the socket. If not remembering wrong if you twist and pull out it comes out with the wiring. You just have to get it past that rubber seal.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

[quote=_Rikki_;7265690]You need a small, pointy piece of metal/tool to "lift" the retaining "block" inside the connector to be able to pull the cable out.

I use a SMALL paper clip for this, just bend one end out and wala you have the tiny tool you need to lift the clip lock and then pull the cable out.
Not to mention it is easier then soldering the wire back together. Unless you plan on using the detach kit for bags, rack or sissy bar. then you have to cut them, there is not enough room to pull the two/three wire through with the connecter ends still on. (I tried)

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Thanks for all the info. I got the assembly apart, but since I could not get the clip off the wires, I just cut them as I will be swapping out for my internal wires anyway..
Read through this thread. I had the same problem getting the wires out of the connector and mud rolled through with some good instructions.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 AM
_Rikki_
Intermediate

+1 on the paperclip.

Quick Reply: Rear Turn Signal Disassembly