Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF in primary...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts
Default Not negative

Not wanting to be negative here but you might want to go to the www.mobiloil.com site and hit the ask Mobil. Do a search for automatic transmission fluid in a Harley primary. It actually sounded like a good idea to me and I have been in my primary (check my album) and have rebuilt a GM Blazer transmission (took it out twice getting it right) Mobile says not to use it. They also say use their motor oil but I do not do that either. I am sure if you do not ride your Harley hard or in a lot of heat it would be fine but if you do it may not provide the protection the inner primary bearing behind the clutch pack (not the clutch drum bearing) needs.

Question: ATF Choices for a Harley-Davidson FLHT PrimaryI have been told that many Harley owners use Type F (Ford) ATF in their primaries, for one thing to make it easier to find neutral. I have some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula that I was thinking about putting in my FLHT primary, but the back label states that it's not recommended for Type F applications. I don't want to put it in my primary if it has a lot of friction modifiers in it because I don't want to cause clutch slippage. What are your thoughts on using this ATF in a Harley primary? Thanks.-- Ken Carpenter, Buford, GA

Answer: Although an ATF may work, we suggest shying away from using it due to the low viscosity of ATFs and the possibility of premature chain wear and/or noise. We recommend Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 for Harley primary transfer cases. Alternatively, one could go with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
...Mobile says not to use it. ...
I saw the answer where they pointed the asker to their Synthetic 10w40 or 20w50... but then here's another response from Mobile...

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) would probably work fine in your primary but in the end you will have to decide if you are satisfied with its performance. Every biker “feels” his shifts and knows his sensitivity to clutch slippage. Every modern ATF is designed with specific frictional characteristics that complement transmission performance with very specific friction materials. Depending on which fluid you choose, you may or may not be satisfied. And even then your buddy may try the same fluid and have yet a different opinion.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rivera pro clutch calls for non synth. ATF that is what I run no problems so far and it pulls 144 lbs tq.

The following users liked this post:
fxr_jp (01-11-2023)
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Oakland River Rat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Rotella T in all of my KTM hare scramble bikes, both two and four stroke. It's good enough to be sloshed around in my primary on the FXDF.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
CKS
Cruiser

I use B&M Trick Shift in mine, Seems to work great in smoother shifting. We will see.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I see you guys have answered the questions far batter than I could. I have no way to offer any imperial evidence of scientific proof that its better OR harmful to anything in my primary. What I can say is that the dreaded overnight clunk is gone, finding neutral is WAY easier and the bike shifts considerably better. As has been mentioned by others, it doesn't do anything for the tranny, it makes the clutch work better, so shifting the tranny is simply easier. At least on my bike that is the case. Anyone is free to do as I did, and do a search. I am by no means to inventor of this little trick and the people before me who started posts about ATF in primaries seemed to be as happy as I am. As a lawyer, I learned many years ago not to offer any advice or opinions in absolutes, but in this case, I absolutely am pleased with the switch from HD fluid to ATF. And again, I can only quote others here, but the clutches in our primary and the clutch pacs in and automatic transmission are essentially the same thing, so I don't suspect there is any potential harm that can occur from ATF in the primary. And the fact that the primary chain and adjuster shoe is in a 100% constant state of total submersion, I can only suspect its getting adequate lubrication. I would never argue that point to some one with proof to the opposite, but this video shows pretty clearly, that everything in that primary is in a state of constant drenching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4dd6xxtWVc

The following 3 users liked this post by bikerlaw:
85frankenstein (03-15-2023), fxr_jp (01-11-2023), USMC1911 (05-29-2022)
Old 09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
lrays280z
Road Master

I've been using Type F ATF for at least 10k miles in my 02 RKC with great results. Change every 5K. I buy the cheapest on the shelf.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
niterider985
Tourer

Video is great looks like one of those washing machines, like it.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
CKS
Cruiser

I have got to ask, Where did you get that cover?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM
glbtrotter
Cruiser

I use Valvoline Racing 20W-50 in all the holes.

Quick Reply: ATF in primary...WOW!