Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF in primary...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
This is easily fixed with a properly adjusted clutch, and by holding in the clutch for about 10 seconds while the engine heats up. I generally do not ride the bike until the motor temp gets to 42 degrees Centigrade. JMO
I totally agree. But with the ATF that first morning clunk was gone without a morning ritual. And believe me, its not the reason I used the ATF, it was just an unexpected result when I pulled in the clutch and that first morning clunk wasn't there.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Bikerlaw, I watched your video and the first thought in my mind was....His idle is set so low...how'd he do that?....then I looked and saw that you've got a '96. Makes me miss my Carb.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:35 AM
richard567
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default atf

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
After reading a number of threads about ATF in the primary, I gave it a shot. I have run Harley's primary / transmission fluid in the primary since I bought the bike, and to be honest, the bike has run just fine. But I can honestly say this is the first fluid change I have ever done to a motorcycle where I could say.....DANG, that actually made a HUGE difference. The difference in finding neutral is truly like night and day. And the bike shifts threw the gears noticeably smoother. Don't know why, but this ATF trick is a huge improvement over the Harley primary fluid I have been using. The other very noticeable attribute is the bang my bike always had on that very first drop into gear if the bike sits overnight or longer. That pretty much vanished. Now, for people not running Harley's primary fluid, you may already have a great fluid and ATF might not do a thing, I am only saying that the improvement over the Harley fluid was huge. And I for one would NEVER have believed a different oil in a single hole on a motorcycle would have made a truly noticeable difference, but I swear to God, it made a huge difference. And all for $2.69 since I bought the cheap generic Auto Zone Ford ATF just in case this ATF trick turned out to be bunk, and I wanted to dump it out right away without being out any real cash. Just wanted to share my experiences.

Just a funny side note: I happen to have a see-threw porthole in my primary cover, and bright red primary fluid sloshing around is a funny sight, to say the least.
I ran atf in my 89 flhtc for 3 years...no problems with average 12000 miles a year...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:26 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Oakland River Rat
I have used Rotella T in all of my KTM hare scramble bikes, both two and four stroke. It's good enough to be sloshed around in my primary on the FXDF.
That's what I use as well. I've tried everything from full syn to old school dyno and my bike seems to perform better with the Rotella T.

Funny, i never ran it in my MX bikes. I always just used GTX. I never had an issue, but I changed it every other weekend.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Holy Zombie Thread

I experimented with ATF; Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic and Ford Type F ATF. You couldn't pay me money to run that garbage in my primary. The ATF's are the worst, there's basically no friction zone, notchy clunking shifting, and a big noise increase from the primary not to mention the case was much hotter after a ride. And that nasty clunk on shutdown? No thanks.

I experimented with near everything in the primary, 13 different fluids all total; Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing 4T is the only thing I'll ever use in my primary

Old 06-30-2016, 01:31 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Holy Zombie Thread

I experimented with ATF; Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic and Ford Type F ATF. You couldn't pay me money to run that garbage in my primary. The ATF's are the worst, there's basically no friction zone, notchy clunking shifting, and a big noise increase from the primary not to mention the case was much hotter after a ride. And that nasty clunk on shutdown? No thanks.

I experimented with near everything in the primary, 13 different fluids all total; Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing 4T is the only thing I'll ever use in my primary
Try the Mobil 1 syn ATF with 3-4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement.... gets rid of the issues.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Holy Zombie Thread

Clunk on shutdown? Never heard of that. Hydraulic tensioner collapsing?

I'm using Delvac 10-40 in mine right now and I'm fairly happy with it. The last 10% (90% engaged) of my friction zone is a bit grabby/notchy. It's plenty rideable, but I'll probably change it out to something else this fall.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-30-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,670 Likes on 6,681 Posts

Last change I used Mobil1 15-50. Shifts good & easy to find neutral. No clutch slipping, either.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Of those thirteen different fluids you tried, was one of them Redline Primary Fluid? If so, thoughts?

Holy Zombie Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:23 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Try the Mobil 1 syn ATF with 3-4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement.... gets rid of the issues.
If I give the ATF a try again I'll add the Lubeguard, perhaps that's what it takes to get ATF to work. I sure didn't care for how the bike shifted when the ATF was in the primary.

Originally Posted by cggorman
Clunk on shutdown? Never heard of that. Hydraulic tensioner collapsing?

I'm using Delvac 10-40 in mine right now and I'm fairly happy with it. The last 10% (90% engaged) of my friction zone is a bit grabby/notchy. It's plenty rideable, but I'll probably change it out to something else this fall.
I suspect I'm a candidate for the Baker compensator and manual attitude tensioner, they're my next upgrade. When your fluid is right there's not a sound but use the wrong stuff and the clunk from the compensator is quite audible. The drama with the newer HD's and the compensators is something that shouldn't be happening, way too many failures are being posted by forum members.

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
Of those thirteen different fluids you tried, was one of them Redline Primary Fluid? If so, thoughts?
Edit: My brain can't even keep it all straight any longer I posted the results HERE I've since tried LiquiMoly 10W-60 racing 4T but so far nothing touches the Mobil 1 racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic for smooth upshifts, accurate rev-matched downshifts and not any clanking or banging around with the poorly designed compensator...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 06-30-2016 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Albe (07-31-2017)

Quick Reply: ATF in primary...WOW!