Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF in primary...WOW!

Old 06-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the link.

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
If I give the ATF a try again I'll add the Lubeguard, perhaps that's what it takes to get ATF to work. I sure didn't care for how the bike shifted when the ATF was in the primary.

I suspect I'm a candidate for the Baker compensator and manual attitude tensioner, they're my next upgrade. When your fluid is right there's not a sound but use the wrong stuff and the clunk from the compensator is quite audible. The drama with the newer HD's and the compensators is something that shouldn't be happening, way too many failures are being posted by forum members.

Edit: My brain can't even keep it all straight any longer I posted the results HERE I've since tried LiquiMoly 10W-60 racing 4T but so far nothing touches the Mobil 1 racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic for smooth upshifts, accurate rev-matched downshifts and not any clanking or banging around with the poorly designed compensator...

Old 07-03-2016, 10:32 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I know it's an old thread but since it came back into circulation I thought I would rebuttal these concerns. The following quotes identify concerns regarding parts other than the clutches, in reality there should be no issues with the chain, sprockets or roller bearings. Take a look at most anything manufactured from the mid/late 80's on, they use ATF in the manual transmissions (gears and roller bearings) as well as the Borg Warner transfer cases which have chains, sprockets and chain tensioners.

Originally Posted by Grendel4
I like the 'idea' of using ATF in my primary. It IS designed for use with clutch paks. But there's more going on in the primary than just the clutch. There's the primary chain and bearings and tensioner shoe and other stuff, too.

I'm going to shy away from it until somebody convinces me otherwise. The low viscosity of ATF has me concerned.
Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The issue that concerns me is the chain and teeth wear on the clutch basket and compensator sprocket. I fully understand the benefits of ATF to the clutch plates, it's just the other pieces in there.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:35 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm glad you mentioned that. I meant to, yet somehow managed to fail.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

ATF in the primary accomplishes only one thing over Formula 2. It's lower viscosity allows the fluid to squeeze out from between the clutch plates faster. That causes less drag and improves the strength of the clutch plates contact.

Back around 2010 when H-D used lighter clutch springs to appease the whiners and wusses folks that had performance upgrades found that the clutch would slip some. Instead of going for the SE clutch spring and installation costs they used ATF and the clutch would not slip anymore.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Would ATF have any impact on the compensator or primary chain. That is unknown. My best guess is that with lower viscosity it may get into the compensator easier and that would be a good thing. I think the primary chain would not suffer under ATF use. But I don;t know.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Automotive automatic transmission has many clutch plates: uses ATF
4x4 transfer case has chains and gears: uses ATF
Harley Primary has clutch plates, chain, no gears but a compensator with frictions: ATF works perfectly fine.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
ATF in the primary accomplishes only one thing over Formula 2. It's lower viscosity allows the fluid to squeeze out from between the clutch plates faster. That causes less drag and improves the strength of the clutch plates contact.

Back around 2010 when H-D used lighter clutch springs to appease the whiners and wusses folks that had performance upgrades found that the clutch would slip some. Instead of going for the SE clutch spring and installation costs they used ATF and the clutch would not slip anymore.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Would ATF have any impact on the compensator or primary chain. That is unknown. My best guess is that with lower viscosity it may get into the compensator easier and that would be a good thing. I think the primary chain would not suffer under ATF use. But I don;t know.
Thanks for the rest of the story.
You forgot to mention, the stuff they used in the primary before they started using synthetics was.......... automatic tranny fluid. It worked fine for many years despite all the horror stories and what if's from some.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Revbig
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Atf in primary

I run atf type f in my twincam primary, I change it more often than the other fluids simply because of the heat issue. In you car the ATF fluid is cooled by the radiator and in some cases an auxiliary trans cooler. As for lubrication of the chain and bearings, transmissions have bearings and in some instances (AWD) there are chains. The Viscosity of ATF is around 7.3 depending on the maker.
I also use Mercon ATF in my Fork tubes 7.3 is the viscosity of HD fork oil.
In my trans I use 75-90 weight gear oil, it is a transmission not an engine.
Clutch packs, chains and bearings = ATF
Gears and shifting forks riding on
bearing shafts = gear oil (I use synthetic)
Pistons, rods, crank pin,
valve train and so on = Motor oil
buying fluids from HD by HD = mo money.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

now I'm intrigued. I currently use the Red Line primary fluid and would like to stick with Red Line.

They have a ton of options, can anyone let me know which is best for a 6speed? https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=9

Possibly the High-Temp ATF?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I tun b&m trick shift atf in both bikes and i honest cant say it is any better than hd formula+ or anything else ive used. I tried syn3 in the sporty primary. It was loud...

Old 07-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
now I'm intrigued. I currently use the Red Line primary fluid and would like to stick with Red Line.

They have a ton of options, can anyone let me know which is best for a 6speed? https://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=9

Possibly the High-Temp ATF?
You're already using it. Why change?

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=120&pcid=13

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATF in primary...WOW!