Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Harley Newbie Question. How do you remove the battery cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1st Harley Newbie Question. How do you remove the battery cover

i have an 11 wg. just curious how you remove the right side battery cover. just pull on it? dont want to break anything yet. also if i remove the left side chrome cover and replace will i loose any oil. or can i just lean the bike to the right when i remove the 5 screws holding it on. i dont want to replace the whole primary cover just the 6" diameter chrome plate.

please be gentle

Attached Thumbnails 1st Harley Newbie Question. How do you remove the battery cover-p9030207.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 09-15-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a phillips head screw at the base (underneath) the battery cover. Unscrew that, push the cover up to clear the two retaining stops on the top, and then out.

First DRAIN the primary. Primary cover comes off by taking the screws out in a star pattern, and putting them back in in the same pattern, tightening evenly around the star in stages..

USMAMule

P.S. MOST IMPORTANT PART YOU CAN BUY IS A SERVICE MANUAL. Trust me on this. You will never regret it.

P.S. Why are you trying to get to the battery - out of curiosity?

Last edited by USMAMule; 09-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
i have an 11 wg. just curious how you remove the right side battery cover. just pull on it? dont want to break anything yet. also if i remove the left side chrome cover and replace will i loose any oil. or can i just lean the bike to the right when i remove the 5 screws holding it on. i dont want to replace the whole primary cover just the 6" diameter chrome plate.

please be gentle
There is a phillips head screw on the bottom of the battery box.

To replace the "Derby Cover" get a 2 x 4 a put the jiffy stand on it. This should put the bike in an upright possition. the only way any fliud will come out then is if it was over filled. Then you can put on your new derby cover. I would wait till the 1000 service as you have to pull the derby to put the new fluid in...JMHO

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule
P.S. Why are you trying to get to the battery - out of curiosity?
Just a guess...but I would say battery tender.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes, it's easier to remove the seat so you can see what you''re doing the first few times. Don't know if that's more problem than it's worth on a WG, but on a SG, it's like -- Ten seconds. Don't scratch your paint if you remove the seat. Put your hand UNDER the back bracket and keep it there until the seat is about five feet from the bike. And the front connector, too. Always, always -- Stop. Think, before you start.

After you've done that, think a little more.

Then, if you have the battery tender spaghetti wires? They're fun. Not a biggie, just -- Fun.

Don't let the bike initimidate you, whup it's ****.

And oh, break down and buy the Service Manual for $60. It's not an option.

Last edited by Grendel4; 09-15-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

dude: Congrats on the bike. Now buy a service manual (and read it) before you fubar something that costs 5x the price of a service manual. This is my best advice. Btw, that round disc flying saucer screwed to your primary is a derby cover.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69

please be gentle
Not sure on the battery cover for your year/model. As to the derby cover: here's a link to one of the Instruction Sheets that come with a new derby cover. According to this sheet your bike should be upright and not leaning on the jiffy stand. Be sure to use the T27 torx drive head (the smaller T25 seems to fit but will strip your screws). More info on this subject to be found over here:

stripped derby cover bolt

Friggin torx bits!!

Name:  8f670462.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  3.3 KB

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 09-15-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh yeah almost forgot...your primal instinct to immediately disassemble your brand new perfectly good and operating motorcycle so you can change what many would find to be just fine is correct. You should fit into the Harley world just fine.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
jaysbobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to drain the primary to change the derby cover. Like you said have someone just lean the bike to the right whaile you change it. It's what I did. Just make sure you get the correct gasket for the new cover as the new derby cover will not have the o ring as the stock one does.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thxs to all responses

reason for wanting to know how the battery cover comes off is because i couldnt figure it out. i started removing the warning sticker off the top and couldnt get it all off and instead of taking the seat off, which i did when i put on a mustang seat, i figure take the battery cover off.

as for the "derby cover" . the question is answered.

thanxs to all for those responses.

i am now just waiting for my dealership to get in the rush slipons (backorder till end of sept). i am getting the pipes, air cleaner, and stage 1 download. i want this thing to sound like a harley. reason for the slipons is because i dont want it to loud just want it not to sound stock. cant beleive the stock harley wg sounds like this.

Quick Reply: 1st Harley Newbie Question. How do you remove the battery cover