Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack load capacity

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 AM
iandavid
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Luggage rack load capacity

I've got a detachable sissy bar and chrome 4 bar luggage rack on my Dyna. The label on the rack says max load 10lbs. That seems light to me. Missus always manages at least 12-14lb in the overnight bag. Is it a problem?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've gone a couple pounds over on a few occasions without any problems, but I try and keep it as close to 10 lbs as possible to be on the safe side.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

its more about having too much weight aft of your axel than the load carrying capacity of the rack...

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I lash a 30-pounder to it any time I tour...no probs. Of course, any load at all could lead to loss of control resulting in death or serious injury.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

12-14 lbs is no problem. I have a Saddleman Drifter bag that I have stuff to the gills on many occasions. If I ride solo and have a lot of crap in it I turn it around so it rests it on the rear seat instead of the luggage rack.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low limit does not have anything to do with handling. It has to do with damaging the aft attach point, bending the fender, or twisting the rack. I find that I can haul as much as I need to as long as I spread the load.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 AM
iandavid
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks guys however I'll tell the missus that 10lb is way to much!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've ridden the Dyna, two-up, loaded with camping gear and clothes for two week trips. I am certain I exceeded the load limit many times over, and never had any problems. (We looked like the beverly hilbillies with all the crap bungied on top of the detachable saddlebags and on top of the luggage rack. The bag we put on the luggage rack probably weighed at least 30 pounds, and we had crap bungied on top of that too. Just be mindeful of the extra weight and the effect on handling. The bike can handle it, but you need to ride a little more conservatively when overloaded.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I run the 4 bar luggage rack and sure as $hit, it says 10 lbs load capacity all over it:

That being said, I regularly run a WHOLE lot more and never have issues. The rack is made from solid steel, and and is quite durable:

Last edited by bikerlaw; 09-27-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rh8234
I've ridden the Dyna, two-up, loaded with camping gear and clothes for two week trips. I am certain I exceeded the load limit many times over, and never had any problems. (We looked like the beverly hilbillies with all the crap bungied on top of the detachable saddlebags and on top of the luggage rack. The bag we put on the luggage rack probably weighed at least 30 pounds, and we had crap bungied on top of that too. Just be mindeful of the extra weight and the effect on handling. The bike can handle it, but you need to ride a little more conservatively when overloaded.
Same here as my wife would take the kitchen sink if I let her! I caught her one time with two pair of shoes in our tour bag. I'll bet that dang bag weighed 60 lbs. but as said you just got to be aware of the the way the bike handles.

Quick Reply: Luggage rack load capacity