Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default clutch advice

the roller bearing in my tranny went out, so while i had the tranny gearset and primary off the bike i took the clutch and gear set to a local shop that an hd tech/friend has started recently. he replaced all the bearings and clips in the transmission gearset for me and inspected the clutch.

he said the clutch basket was showing alot of wear. the bearing and everything else he said seemed fine. his corncern was that it might cause me problems later on to continue using this clutch and also that if ii was going to do anything it would make the most sense to just replace the whole clutch. he also said that if it was his bike he would continue using the clutch untill it became a more noticible problem, but that he wasn't confortable giving that advice to someone else

i haven't noticed any real clutch problems, except every once in a while a shift will feel more like i jammed it in gear without the clutch but that is pretty rare

my bike is 06 superglide with 81,000 miles, some of those miles are sunday cruisin with the wife and some are pretty hard miles and i use to like to take the bike to test and tune night at the drag strip. also it is fairly common for me to do a random burn out so i will admit that i have been hard on the clutch

i could have proboly just replaced the roller bearing and seal and got on with it but instead i have takin this time to freshen up the tranny, add baker IPB and add baker manual primary chain adjuster.

ya'll get the idea, i am trying to repair/replace/upgrade the intire drivetrain while i am at it, but at the same time dont want to spend money if it is not needed

basically i am looking for advice on what to do clutch wise. Keep using it as is, replace with stock, upgrade to something better?

motor has a mild cam only upgrade, but next year i would like to build my motor

Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Love my Rivera pro clutch but they're a little pricey. The stock clutch should hold up fine though. You could probably find a less used basket on eBay, throw some se plates and a se spring in it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hound I would say to install a heavy duty clutch spring. I would think it would help with the cam you already have in her, but with the engine upgrades you are going to do in the future it would become even more important. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Is it the clutch hub that's worn? Pretty common to happen the hub splines are a softer material than the mainshaft splines they mate with so they get chewed up.

This was my hub splines at 20k:

You can see two or three are missing some material. I went ahead and replaced just the hub (and the hub bearing). I re-used my friction and steel clutch plates as they looked to be brand new.

I also put in a stronger clutch spring since I'm also running a different cam. The spring I used is PN 37871-98A (330lbs) and is only 30lbs higher than stock (300 lbs for 06+) rather than the SE spring which is 380 lbs. Roughly $30 for this.

The bearing in the hub (which needs replaced any time the hub is pressed out from the basket as it side loads the bearing) can be sourced elsewhere than HD. They just re-package it. It's a KOYO 5207-CD3. HD wants something like $80 for it but you'll find it for around $35 at a bearing house.

Finally, the hub is a PN 37554-06A and comes in around $117 from discount dealers online.

IIRC a whole clutch assembly is $400+ this route you can get away for less than half that with basically a brand new clutch.

Matt

Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

the splines and bearings seems fine
i assume what he was saying was that the disks and plates are slightly hanging up on grooves and wear marks in the basket. that it still seems to work ok but that at some point the plates will not engage/disingage right, because they cant slide smooth

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

the marks on the basket are just alittle wavvy. the plates seem to slide pretty good. i think i will continue to use this clutch and shop around for something else before i do my motor, but that could be a year or so

vdop
what is the differnce between the pro and primo, is it the centrifical weights the main difference or are there other differences. I havent really looked at them to much.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The wear grouves in the basket are pretty normal with those kinda miles. Id get the SE pressure plate and save up for future clutch upgrades. Im still on my original clutch plates and basket after 128k.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
the marks on the basket are just alittle wavvy. the plates seem to slide pretty good. i think i will continue to use this clutch and shop around for something else before i do my motor, but that could be a year or so

vdop
what is the differnce between the pro and primo, is it the centrifical weights the main difference or are there other differences. I havent really looked at them to much.
I didn't realize your basket was the problem. The Rivera actually just replaces the hub and uses the stock basket. You can get one with a basket but it's big money. "Rivera primo" is the company, pro clutch is what they call their clutch. There is a version with the variable pressure plate with the weights but I'm running the normal one with the heavy (gold) spring. The plates have at least twice the surface area giving more holding power without a real heavy lever. Very well made and works real nice and smooth. I have buddies making over 110ft lbs with a stock clutch with se spring and they beat them pretty hard, one is in a bagger too. If you're not planning on much more than that you should be fine with a stock rebuild and good spring.