Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake-Light switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Malibyte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake-Light switch

Found out today that the brake-light switch controlled by the front brake lever on my '03 WG may have issues.

The guys I ride with (we just got back from the Vegas BikeFest) have been telling me that the brake light flickers and goes on/off randomly - they don't know when I'm actually hitting the brakes. It does NOT go OFF if I am actually on the brakes.

Jiggling the lever just the slightest amount up/down, while the bike is parked (without applying the brakes at all) causes the brake light to come on. Getting on the freeway with even minimal wind seems to trigger it, as does riding over bumps (but there does NOT seem to be an intermittent in the wiring under the seat, because it doesn't seem to misbehave if I sit on the bike and just move around, or ride slowly in city traffic).

Is there an easy fix for this or am I looking at significant time and money (meaning: replacing parts - is this the switch itself going south or is there something easy and obvious I'm missing)? The little C-ring is still there, nothing appears amiss, just looking at the setup.

TIA-
Bob

Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you done anything to your handlebars that involved taking your right hand controls off?

If you take the controls off the right side without using a wedge between the brake lever and the housing, it can cause damage like you described. Don't ask how I know this?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
jordanball33
Road Master

I got a similar issue

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Stomper-63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is closing the circuit that brings on your brake light. It will either be an intermittent short-circuit SOMEWHERE, or possibly the "micro-switch" assembly that your front brake lever engages is out of wack (ie. being too close/far) and is getting actuated. From what you said about "jiggling" the front lever causing it, I would focus on that. Perhaps you'll need a new assembly that is "tighter".

Hope that helps.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Malibyte
Tourer

Originally Posted by atlantaallen
Have you done anything to your handlebars that involved taking your right hand controls off?

If you take the controls off the right side without using a wedge between the brake lever and the housing, it can cause damage like you described. Don't ask how I know this?
Yes, I have replaced both levers with the contrast-cut black ones. However, I DID use a cardboard wedge as they said in the directions, and it didn't start happening until several weeks after I changed them out. Were you able to solve it by just taking it apart and re-installing?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
jetjack
Intermediate

+1 on the wedge, you can also adjust the switch in the master cylinder/throttle. When you pull on the brake lever it moves away from the switch activating the light. The spring in the master cylinder has to be pushing the plunger all the way out to push the lever against the switch. The rear brake system uses a pressure switch versus mechanical.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibyte
Yes, I have replaced both levers with the contrast-cut black ones. However, I DID use a cardboard wedge as they said in the directions, and it didn't start happening until several weeks after I changed them out. Were you able to solve it by just taking it apart and re-installing?
No. Actually I had the dealer fix it since it was in the shop for something else.

Mine apparently had been acting strange like yours for quite a while before it was called to my attention by the dealer. I'm never behind me when I put the brake on.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Dr Bob, when you get a chance, swing by the dealer and pick up a new switch. We can put it in when we do the motor. Or you could have Drew (Dr V Twin) put it in for you (That ought to be fun to watch)

In the meantime, I guess you wont have to worry about anyone tailgating you

You'll have to excuse me. I'm on my 4th pot of coffee, and the caffeine's getting to me

Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

Thanks, Larry - that works for me (doing it when we do the motor). Will swing by Simi H-D this week or check with Surdyke. Just have to look up the part number.

I need to go grab a cuppa coffee myself, thanks for the reminder