Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan "Design Flaw" / Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all
Just to say there are no marks on my oil sump and i no that it will not catch when i ride. I noticed the low rider true track tie bar set up and it covers a good part of the sump and i got to thinking it would be good if it protected the sump from things on the road hitting the oil tank on my dyna. There is loads of crap on the UK roads which i spot most of the time but there may be a time when i don't. Its not an end of the world thing and only a few would be bothered.
tbone108

Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
Of course there is always the freak acident to take exception to....

Not advocating a skid plate but just got me thinking..

I met a guy at a wedding last summer that rides a 02' WG. We got to talking about Harley's Naturally..

He told me, one time while riding through Seattle, he ran over a smaller sewer vent cover. He said, it was about 8" diameter or so. When his front tire hit the cover, it flipped up and jammed in-between the road and his motor/oil pan. He said, It blew the bottom of the motor to pieces spilling oil everywhere and he went down and kissed the pavement. He was traveling at 25-30mph. His bottom end was shot and his frame was bent. He had full coverage insurance that paid to have his bike fixed... He said he will never ride over a sewer cover again..

Strange ****..

Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dirknar
Not advocating a skid plate but just got me thinking..

I met a guy at a wedding last summer that rides a 02' WG. We got to talking about Harley's Naturally..

He told me, one time while riding through Seattle, he ran over a smaller sewer vent cover. He said, it was about 8" diameter or so. When his front tire hit the cover, it flipped up and jammed in-between the road and his motor/oil pan. He said, It blew the bottom of the motor to pieces spilling oil everywhere and he went down and kissed the pavement. He was traveling at 25-30mph. His bottom end was shot and his frame was bent. He had full coverage insurance that paid to have his bike fixed... He said he will never ride over a sewer cover again..

Strange ****..
Well **** happens because it says so on that bumper sticker. I think i will look into protecting my dyna oil tank because it looks like prevention will be better than that **** happening to me.
tbone108

Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I rode my scooter to work back in July ..it was still a lil dark out .I hit something in the road.my front tire slung something under the bike ,I didn't think much about it ,wasn't very loud,until I turned left ,it felt funny,thought man,felt like it could slide out from under me,didn't have far to get to work .turned right ,same thing ,s.when I got off the bike at work I noticed oil pouring out from underneath,there was a hole in the front of the oil pan about the size of a number 2 pencil ..good thing I wasn't goin very fast ..a skid plate .if it didn't look funny on the bike might not be a bad idea .just sayin. From personal experience

Old 11-22-2012, 05:15 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
I rode my scooter to work back in July ..it was still a lil dark out .I hit something in the road.my front tire slung something under the bike ,I didn't think much about it ,wasn't very loud,until I turned left ,it felt funny,thought man,felt like it could slide out from under me,didn't have far to get to work .turned right ,same thing ,s.when I got off the bike at work I noticed oil pouring out from underneath,there was a hole in the front of the oil pan about the size of a number 2 pencil ..good thing I wasn't goin very fast ..a skid plate .if it didn't look funny on the bike might not be a bad idea .just sayin. From personal experience
Hello there
I can understand why some people may think its going to far and a bit alarmist to protect the dyna oil tank but it is in harms way. May be the odds are more for a win on the lotto but if it happens to you its not about the damage to the bike its about protecting you.
tbone108

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then I should play the lotto because I busted mine going thru a speed bump 100m befere my house that I have passed over it hundreds of times before!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
Then I should play the lotto because I busted mine going thru a speed bump 100m befere my house that I have passed over it hundreds of times before!!!
Hello there
sorry to hear that,bad luck. Nice looking bike. People seem to be saying it won't happen but it is happening. lucky you going slow.
tbone108

Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just seen this thread in a search. I bottomed out on a spike strip going out of the USA into Mexico.Looked back and didnt see any oil. thought i just banged the frame. Stopped on the dam above where they shot and killed the jet skier a while back. When i stopped it started dumping oil out of a small pinhole. Started it back up and ran back for the border to get back in the states. It does happen and its a shi**y design to drop a factory pan down below the frame like that.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I was killed 10 years ago when my dangerously protruding oil pan struck a refrigerator that fell off a delivery truck on I-90.
Same thing almost happened to me, if I wouldn't of had my 23" shocks I would have been dead again