Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna

I bought a Harbor Freight Lift jack, looks strong, seems to work great. Only one problem, it's impossible to position it under my 07 street bob without one of the pads being under the oil pan since it comes down below the frame level. I am afraid it will crush the pan. I am in the process of constructing some 3/4" plywood strips to run parallel with the frame to keep the pads down from the pan. Anybody tried to just raise it with the lift on the pan?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You will need to get the lifter block kit from HD. It costs around $25. This will allow you to safely lift the bike and avoid damage to the oil pan. I have the same problem on my 07 Lowrider.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sears Red Lift mod and it works on the Harbor Freight jack as well.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html

I just used the OE bolts and I have had no problems using this way. My bike sat on the lift for 2 months with no problems and rolled it around without a worry. One of these days I am going to go with some 12mm x 120mm long bolts with some aluminum spacers between the pads, but I have had no problems and procrastinated. You could go with 1/2" x 5" but you have to drill out the existing holes, which is no big deal.
CB

Attached Thumbnails Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna-img_1544.jpg   Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna-img_1546.jpg  

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 10-12-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would seriously think about going with the 1/2" x 5" bolts

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain

Thanks, if I had some time I might would go buy some bolts and mod the pads but if Harley sells the Lift block for $25 heck that's the route I'm going. I assume if I walk into the dealer and ask for the Lift Block to fit a lift jack they are going to know what I am talking about?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Thanks, if I had some time I might would go buy some bolts and mod the pads but if Harley sells the Lift block for $25 heck that's the route I'm going. I assume if I walk into the dealer and ask for the Lift Block to fit a lift jack they are going to know what I am talking about?
The bolt purchase is much cheaper than that lift adapters.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by ynots
I would seriously think about going with the 1/2" x 5" bolts
I thought the same thing and I only assembled it that way to try it out to see if it worked. The HF has a bracket in the center of the lift pad so you can position the pad on either side of the lift arms and as you can see, it holds and positions the bolt just fine. 7 months later it is still working fine.
CB

I used the blocks for a long time and even defended them when others said they sucked, that was until I modified my jack. They make it hard to position the jack under the bike and if you do not get them positioned correctly they can twist and move which can cause the bike to fall over. Sometimes the plastic pad separates from the rubber because they only use a double sided tape to hold them together and the bike can fall over. Even when positioned correctly the bike is unstable. Be careful using them!
Buy the adapters and then you will mod your jack for sure. You can then take two of the adapters and separate the plastic pad from them and use those on the front to position the bike better and clear the clutch cable on the modded jack.
CB

Attached Thumbnails Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna-img_1547.jpg   Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna-img_1548.jpg  

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 10-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Garry Larden (01-11-2021)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain

[cbz1200n wrote...<cut>..... Be careful using them! ]
Wow thanks for the additional reply dude, I am definitely going to take the time to mod the jack now. Drill out the holes and use 1/2" bolts. I'm thinking I ought to weld the cross brace back with a gusset piece, although in the video I did not notice that being done.
So I'm thinking I don't need to buy the blocks just use some wood spacers on the front to clear the clutch cable on the modded jack. What is your input on that?
Oh and buy the way I don't see a definitive end to the oil temp plug issue, is that something worth buying yet or does anyone have a final opinion on it?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow thanks for the additional reply dude, I am definitely going to take the time to mod the jack now. Drill out the holes and use 1/2" bolts. I'm thinking I ought to weld the cross brace back with a gusset piece, although in the video I did not notice that being done.
So I'm thinking I don't need to buy the blocks just use some wood spacers on the front to clear the clutch cable on the modded jack. What is your input on that?
Oh and buy the way I don't see a definitive end to the oil temp plug issue, is that something worth buying yet or does anyone have a final opinion on it?
Personally, I haven't found a reason to weld the cross bar back in. I've left my bike lifted for two weeks and found no issue with grade 8 bolts bending.

If you'd feel safer doing that, go for it.

If you were going to be lifting baggers I might suggest your idea but our dynas weigh ~650lbs or so. About half as much as a full dressed bagger.

As far as your oil temp plug question...I may have missed it. What's up?

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 10-13-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

If you have the same HF lift I have there is no cross brace to remove, only on the Sears Red Lift. Does yours look like the one I posted? Guess I should have asked in the first place.
CB

Quick Reply: Bike Lift Jack on 07 Dyna