Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lights, did you need a load equalizer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 PM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED lights, did you need a load equalizer?

When anyone installed a set of led lights, did you install a load equalizer?
There aint much 'hiding' room on the dyna

Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LED lights, did you need a load equalizer?

Most likely, YES. I replaced the front blinkers, rear blinkers and the tailight with Kuryakyn LEDs. I also installed their run-brake-turn controller which had a load balancer socket to plug into. At first I used the single balancer plugged into the controller and it worked fine intermittently. I spliced in a second one and it works perfectly. I've run it this way for about 10 months now.

If I understand correctly, running the LEDs can make your bike "think" that you have a blown bulb in the circuit. The system does rapid flashing to let you know you've got a bulb burned out and that's what the equalizers prevent. At least, that's the way I understand it.

Because it's a function of resitance or voltage drop or current flow or something else related, your results may vary depending on how many LEDs, which brand, your battery voltage (therefore even temperature), etc. It's tight, but the load equalizers I had weren't that large so it wasn't too bad.

What brand are you using and which lights are you replacing?

Kevin

Old 09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on which lights you are replacing.[ul][*] Tail/Stop light - No.[*] One set of indicators (either the front ones or the back ones but not both) - No[*] Both sets of indicators (front and back) - yes[/ul]

Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

I'm not replacing any lights, I just noticed that in the ads for Kuryakyn thay say you need one and ads for other lights don't mention it.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<”mikeurig”>

<”When anyone installed a set of led lights, did you install a load equalizer?
There aint much 'hiding' room on the dyna “>

You got some good advice here the only think I can add is reason why Sooee stated if you use 4 turn signals you have to do something with what flashes your turns, LED draw is so small it won’t signal the standard flasher, HD equalizers don’t know enough about them.

I would imagine the HD equalizers are solid state, but will it adjust the rate of flash ?
Try Radiantz.com very good stuff I have their solid state flasher and can adjust the flash rate of my four turns the unit is very small, very thin, maybe almost 2” L x 1”W fits right in my headlight housing where the stock unit was.
But try these links:

Radiantz Strobez controller is designed to strobe LEDs at your desired speed. An adjustment screw is used to adjust the strobe rate. MSRP: $39.99

http://www.radiantz.com/c144.html

Brake Light/ Running Light Turn Signal Conversion, Compatible with the Harley-Davidson break light module. MSRP: $69.95

TailRunner adds running light capability to rear turn signals, even with single-filament bulbs!

http://www.radiantz.com/c182.html

I did try a kuryakyn solid state flasher a while back, lasted approx. 6 flashes then burn out ! maybe better now. But I am still using radiantz first generation flasher over 4 years, no problems with it or their LED’s units.

Good luck

cj

Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
wildfire
Intermediate

What is everyone's opinion on LED replacement bulbs? These are bulbs that replace the curret light bulb.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I don't understand why Harley uses the system they use, why isn't thier system more like a car's system?
I was going to install an aftermarket radio on my E-Glide Standard and found a unit that would let me use the handlebar controls but I would have had to install certain resistors in the wiring to get it to work.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 AM
jimw411
Tourer

I put on the smoked turn signal covers and got some amber led's from a place online that makes them with leds on the front and the back so that the reflector makes it brighter. I had to put on the Badlander II load equilizer to fix the fast flashing and the security light coming on with a troble code. IT cost $80 for the module but it fixed my problem and i love having LED's, i just got the low profile smoked lay down kuryakyn tail light and it match my turn signals perfect.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:00 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

I used Harley's cross over ($45) to turn my turn signals in to running lights/ brake lights.
Put LEDs in, and they work just fine.
I have been running this way since last October.

DD

Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

I used Harley's cross over ($45) to turn my turn signals in to running lights/ brake lights.
Put LEDs in, and they work just fine.
I have been running this way since last October.

DD
Where did you install the LEDs? Front rear or both?

Quick Reply: LED lights, did you need a load equalizer?