Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Cross threaded bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - Cross threaded bolt?

I was changing out my shift lever for one that I just had powder coated and I think cross threaded the bolt that holds it on?

So, will I need to somehow re-thread the hole that the bolt goes into (if so, how do I do that?) or can I just get another bolt?

Attached Thumbnails Help - Cross threaded bolt?-cross-threaded.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 AM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

1st… Love your quote

Hey if I was going to skin that cat… I’ll take my lever and myself to the local hardware store and find a longer slightly thinner/longer bolt and get matched sized nut and washer and install… Or you could get a tap and die set to re-cut the correct size and get a new bolt…. Or you my need to make it slightly larger and get a new bolt for shifter and you should be good to go. ………………… Good Luck

Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Need to run a tap through the shifter to clean up the threads. If that doesn't let a new bolt hold it securely, drill it out and cut all new threads for a little larger bolt. If that's not an option, based on how much metal is around the hole, get a helicoil installed. The other thing is to drill all the way through and use a bolt and nut as the previous post mentioned. So, you have some options, just need to use the one that works best for you...or buy a new lever and be more careful installing it. lol

Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
Need to run a tap through the shifter to clean up the threads. If that doesn't let a new bolt hold it securely, drill it out and cut all new threads for a little larger bolt. If that's not an option, based on how much metal is around the hole, get a helicoil installed. The other thing is to drill all the way through and use a bolt and nut as the previous post mentioned. So, you have some options, just need to use the one that works best for you...or buy a new lever and be more careful installing it. lol
This is all the info you need, and in the order you need to approach it.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

9 times outta ten the bolt threads will cross leaving the hole threads in ok shape. Geat a new bolt,and tap through the hole to clean up those threads, for about 5$ and a little elbow grease you may get lucky! Otherwise those guys already nailed all the soloutions!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just for future reference, after powdercoat or chrome, or even paint, always chase the threads with a tap prior to installing any hardware. between sandblasting and surface finishes, there is always some residue left on the threads.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Cowpokey got it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
9 times outta ten the bolt threads will cross leaving the hole threads in ok shape. Geat a new bolt,and tap through the hole to clean up those threads, for about 5$ and a little elbow grease you may get lucky! Otherwise those guys already nailed all the soloutions!!
The shift arm is aluminum, and the bolt is steel. What you see in the pic is the aluminum threads wrapped around the bolt. The bolt is fine if its cleaned up, but there arent any threads left in the shift arm. If I remember correctly, theres only about 2 threads exposed in the arm with the bolt properly installed. You can try chasing the threads in the arm, but I think you'll be better off starting with sentence #2 of Cowpokey's post.

Drilling it out for as larger size wont work too well either, unless your shifter shaft can handle a 3/8ths dia bolt run through the slot (its gonna be close). Helicoil may be your best fix, but you'll have to blind side it, which aint easy if youve never done it before.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that is why we always plug our holes when we blast and coat parts, i would bet you have media in your threads... just go get a tap run that though the hole, and pop a new bolt in there. be good as new in no time! let me know if you have any questions... ace hardware sells single taps

Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default a man's gotta know his limitations

Shift levers are forged steel--not aluminum. And they require the original size bolt--not a larger one--as they are trapped in a groove in the shift shaft, presumably so the lever won't fall off, even if the bolt loosens. Replace the bolt w/ a brand-new original size, after running a tap through the hole. If the threads are too messed up, either install a Heli-coil insert or replace the lever.

Quick Reply: Help - Cross threaded bolt?