Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews vs. S & S gear drive cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Patch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andrews vs. S & S gear drive cams

Can anyone tell me the pros / cons or differences in the Andrews gear drive cams verses the S & S gear drive cams.

I am going to have my dealer install gear drive cams this winter in my 2005 FXDCI...SE stage I big bore kit ( 95" ) stock cams
SE slip fit mufflers...SERT tune...right now 80 HP & 86 TQ....8,000 miles on the bike

I am going for lower end torque...not high end so I don't need high lift cans....S & S is 510G cams
I don't what Andrews has.
also when you guys had this done , did you do anything to the oil pump?

I am going for torque and reliability

thanks

Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Andrews vs. S & S gear drive cams

<”Patch”>

<” Can anyone tell me the pros / cons or differences in the Andrews gear drive cams verses the S & S gear drive cams. I don't what Andrews has.
also when you guys had this done , did you do anything to the oil pump? “>

I believe both uses straight cut gears but try this link it has something on the oil pump issue along with chain or gears.

http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305

cj

Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Andrews vs. S & S gear drive cams

I went with the Andrews 21G. It is very close to the stock profile. About 0.025 inch increase in lift and slightly longer duration and the valve opening is more advanced. This leads to more midrange torque. I am very pleased. As for the gears, I believe they are both the same. I was told that S&S has the patent, so whatever cams you use, the gears will be S&S. Adjustable pushrods are a must to save installation time. Andrews also has some cam grinds a little more radical that the 21G but less than the S&S 510G. I used the same oil pump but used the aligning dowels on reassembly and have not had any oil pressure issues. A friend went with the 510G and Fueling oil pump and he is also happy.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ride99fxd
I went with the Andrews 21G. It is very close to the stock profile. About 0.025 inch increase in lift and slightly longer duration and the valve opening is more advanced. This leads to more midrange torque. I am very pleased. As for the gears, I believe they are both the same. I was told that S&S has the patent, so whatever cams you use, the gears will be S&S. Adjustable pushrods are a must to save installation time. Andrews also has some cam grinds a little more radical that the 21G but less than the S&S 510G. I used the same oil pump but used the aligning dowels on reassembly and have not had any oil pressure issues. A friend went with the 510G and Fueling oil pump and he is also happy.
Great! I was looking for somebody who had tried the 21G. The Andrews website does back up what you say, since the 21G is the most conservative cam of them all.

However, the cheapest installation kit I've found on the web is for the 26G, which from what I've read isn't a bad choice either (for my 05 Dyna Super Glide, carbed) so I guess after checking if the crank is true and having it welded, I'll install the 26G and post results!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope woods cams all the way. Same money superior product. IMO

Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the 26 in my 06 Wg I had. I really liked it, it was a noticble bump over stock and the dynas are light enough I feel the 26 is a better choice over 21. There is only a 500 rpm difference in the curves on them anyways. Just curious why you wanted to go gear drive? The regular chain drive is fine if you don't do alot of other mods down the road, which you would probably want a different cam anyways. I did the chain drive in my 06 and it was about half price of the gears plus you don't have to worry about crank run out. Also take alook at Woods 222 cams.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:08 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I am in the process of installing a set of 26g cams. I am at a crossroads in how to press the gear and the key onto the cam? The kit came with a disassembled gear. I have a press and the Jim’s camshaft remover/installer.
any tips or recommended videos of pressing the gear and alignment of key would be appreciated. If I had of known better I would have ask or bought the cams with installed gears or they may all come this way out of the box.