Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Death wobble question

In reference to other threads that have compiled evidence as to what combination of items contribute to the dreaded death wobble that has claimed the lives or skin from some of our brethren. It is like the shadowman in the closet of every biker. It appears to be caused from a combination of lack of maintence (mainly front end and alignment), pre-ride inspections, rider weight etc.

In addition I have the following question for comment:

Has anyone had (or heard of ) the front end Wobble without a windshield or Fairing ?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Mine will from time to time depending on speed, wind, and weight. I only weigh 120# on a good day, if its windy it'll blow me all over unless I'm 2 up.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM
formike56
Club Member

Originally Posted by W G Junkie
Yes. Mine will from time to time depending on speed, wind, and weight. I only weigh 120# on a good day, if its windy it'll blow me all over unless I'm 2 up.
What you are describing is wind buffeting.

The death wobble is while entering turns at high rate front end or rear wobbles. I cured that with the True Track.

There is a lot of threads that address this issue

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had no wobble on my Fatbob, ever. But my wife say's she does on her Super Glide custom.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can also develop a 'death wobble' or 'tank slapper' when riding on straight roads at high speeds.

Originally Posted by formike56
What you are describing is wind buffeting.

The death wobble is while entering turns at high rate front end or rear wobbles. I cured that with the True Track.

There is a lot of threads that address this issue

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Woooooooooobbbbbbbbllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeee

Had it on my bike till I changed the bars...it's fine now. Mine had to do with the wind on the front of me and the bike and a windshield was not the answer. When the wind hits you or your windshield, it has to have somewhere to go and in my case it would just alternate sides. I couldn't tighten my fall away enough to prevent it, so the bars were the next step. Solved...Wind buffeting or death wobble have the same outcome.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Which bars did you change from and which did you change to?

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Had it on my bike till I changed the bars...it's fine now. Mine had to do with the wind on the front of me and the bike and a windshield was not the answer. When the wind hits you or your windshield, it has to have somewhere to go and in my case it would just alternate sides. I couldn't tighten my fall away enough to prevent it, so the bars were the next step. Solved...Wind buffeting or death wobble have the same outcome.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
formike56
Club Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Can also develop a 'death wobble' or 'tank slapper' when riding on straight roads at high speeds.
You are correct Bigdaddy33. I had that happen after I changed the rear tire to a SE180. After going back and forth with the dealer over it. The problem was tire. It started separating the plys. Replace the SE180 with another problem was solved.

There is several differant reason for the dreaded death wobble.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are two distinct causes of handling or wobble problems. One starts at the front and can be caused by high bars, some windshields, even noise. Buffetting of the windshield or the rider's arms gets transferred into the handlebars. This can also happen when travelling at speed, when high noise levels make the rider tense arm muscles and hold the bars tight, which can also cause handlebar wobble.

As others have already stated, a change of windshield or bars can cure these problems, or using ear-plugs for high noise levels (the best and cheapest tuning aid out there!).

The other source is from the rear wheel and happens when cornering at speed, but can also be caused by hitting bad road surfaces, when the rubber mounts the engine/trans/rear wheel are mounted on flex sideways. This can affect Dynas and touring models and can be cured with a True-Track kit.

Last edited by grbrown; 12-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

My FXDC feels much more confident after the front Screamin' Eagle fork brace, not to mention looks GREAT !!

Quick Reply: Death wobble question