Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls on Dyna Glide with mid shifter rod in place?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 AM
captainslow
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Forward Controls on Dyna Glide with mid shifter rod in place?

Hi all,

First of all, greetings from out here in Dubai! Wanted to say hello as this is my first posting but I have been reading this forum for well over an year. It's an awesome great place for advice and topics to read!!

To introduce myself, I've got a '10 Super Glide Custom which is awesome and my first Harley and have been loving it. Have been working on it slowly (small jobs) to learn and understand it as I plan on keeping her for a long time.

As to my question, I've been thinking about forward controls for a while but am not too sure. The bike has got mid controls on now since most bikes I rode earlier had them. Wanted to try the forward to see if I am comfortable with it, else switch back to the mids, hence I do not want to remove or cut the mid shifter rod until I am sure.

Has anyone done this before? Is there anyway I can secure the mid shifter rod links so that they dont clang around while riding? Looking for advice!

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:23 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by captainslow
Hi all,

First of all, greetings from out here in Dubai! Wanted to say hello as this is my first posting but I have been reading this forum for well over an year. It's an awesome great place for advice and topics to read!!

To introduce myself, I've got a '10 Super Glide Custom which is awesome and my first Harley and have been loving it. Have been working on it slowly (small jobs) to learn and understand it as I plan on keeping her for a long time.

As to my question, I've been thinking about forward controls for a while but am not too sure. The bike has got mid controls on now since most bikes I rode earlier had them. Wanted to try the forward to see if I am comfortable with it, else switch back to the mids, hence I do not want to remove or cut the mid shifter rod until I am sure.

Has anyone done this before? Is there anyway I can secure the mid shifter rod links so that they dont clang around while riding? Looking for advice!

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum from the Netherlands, captainslow!

Similar question has been asked over here: Securing mid gearshift lever when moving to forwards. Check out this thread and you'll find some solutions.

You'll find a link for the Instruction sheet on 49080-06A ...dyna fwd control kit chrome '06-later models in my database (see link in my signature)

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 12-26-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 AM
limp15000
Advanced

That's funny I'd like to add mid controls on mine and keep the front pegs when cruising on the highway but have no ideas of what parts to order for my fatbob...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 AM
captainslow
Stage II

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Welcome to the forum from the Netherlands, captainslow!

Similar question has been asked over here: Securing mid gearshift lever when moving to forwards. Check out this thread and you'll find some solutions.
Thanks FXD2003Rider! That thread has exactly what I was looking for! Looks like my searching skills still need some development...

I'll contact a local shop to try and get that part fabricated for me!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:43 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by captainslow
Thanks FXD2003Rider! That thread has exactly what I was looking for! Looks like my searching skills still need some development...

I'll contact a local shop to try and get that part fabricated for me!
My pleasure...

Searching the forum is not so difficult.

Click FAQ in the blue bar;

Now click General Forum Usage

Under General Forum Usage click Searching Forums and Threads
to find how to search Forums and Threads.

If you need some more info, just let me know by PM.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by limp15000
That's funny I'd like to add mid controls on mine and keep the front pegs when cruising on the highway but have no ideas of what parts to order for my fatbob...
Check out these links for parts diagrams on:

Rider footrest

Gear shifter assembly

Chain case housing

Check what parts you need, fill out the "order qty box", scroll down and push button "Add items to Parts List".
Now push button "Send to cart" and you'll find the p/n's....

Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

does harley sell mid controls for the dynas that come with forwards only?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:13 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by odd_child4life@hotmail.com
does harley sell mid controls for the dynas that come with forwards only?
Never seen these parts in a kit like fwd ctrls do...

If you want to convert, you'll have to find out what parts you need and buy them at a dealer or search ebay for take off parts.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM
leepetersusn
Tourer

I added forward controls and haven't gotten around to taking the shifter shaft off for the mids yet. Just haven't felt like taking everything apart. I actually screwed the stock shifter onto the inside of the lever and it stays out of the way.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking to just feel what forwards would be, another alternative would be to put foot pegs there. This would give you the feel of forwards. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Forward Controls on Dyna Glide with mid shifter rod in place?