Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front turn signal wires, fxdb questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
trappermarc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front turn signal wires, fxdb questions

Getting ready to move my turn signals down to the forks on my '11 street bob. Do the wires need to be disconected at the signals, and pulled down the bars, or disconect somewhere else, and pulled up thru the bars?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Move your tank back a few inches and access the plastic plate under the spine of the frame. Follow th einstructions on routing the wires, you will have to unplug and dis assemble the front facing plug, remember the color code and slots they go back into. Good if you have service manual to reference. Took me about an hour.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trappermarc
Getting ready to move my turn signals down to the forks on my '11 street bob. Do the wires need to be disconected at the signals, and pulled down the bars, or disconect somewhere else, and pulled up thru the bars?
Under the bottom of the top frame rail (next to the neck) there is a plastic insert (about 6" long) that pops out (two tabs stick out frame sides).
Then pull out the wiring harness till you see the 3 wire AMP connectors that go to signal bullets (they branch off of larger type connectors). On mine (the 3 wire AMPS) one was black (right) and one was white (left).
Do a search for Muds "AMP connectors" to see how to release the wires from these. Make a note of where the wires were in case the wires going out don't have the same color. There are numbers on the AMP tabs to help keep track. Some people cut the wires and resolder or crimp, I took them out of the AMPs, but it was difficult for a dummy like me, but finally got it.
Wrap masking tape around all the end metal pins (to keep from scraping other wires) and put some slickum on the exposed wire.
Now up at the bullets you're going to have to open up the switch housings on both sides ( I had to remove the throttle cables for this) and clip the plastic tie that ties the bullet wire.
Then you will have to remove the large rubber grommets on each side of the frame neck to lessen the friction to pull the wire out. These grommets are a bear sometimes to get out. There is a split on the top section, attack this first with stiff fingers since this is where it is weakest. A flat screwdriver wrapped with masking tape helps.
Then you as carefully as possible, pull the wire out from the bullet area until it all comes up from the bottom. I had to work mine back and forth a little before they finally came out.
Then you install your bullets on the forks and fish the same wires back thru the frame neck side hole and push pins back in AMPs.
Hope you have better luck than me. My right turn front signal don't work and I am having trouble tracking down where the problem is.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 AM
trappermarc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, sounds easy. I'm having trouble finding a repair manual for a '11. any ideas?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Try the 10 manual if they have one, not that much change between the years.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trappermarc
Thanks, sounds easy. I'm having trouble finding a repair manual for a '11. any ideas?
The repair manual will give you "some" info, but you can find more relative data if you do a search for the Harley Front turn signal relocation instructions. It's downloadable PDF file at HD's site.

If you don't have a 2" tank lift you may have remove or slide your gas tank back some. Remove your tank console (unscrew the odometer reset button, disconnect the breather tube and other connectors. Pop your EFI fuel disconnect loose (at left rear side under tank) put a towel around it because it will spray just for a second. Then disconnect the fuel gauge electric connector (also on left side under tank, towards front).
Then if you place big thick towels on rear bolt hole area and stuff the other one down between tank and top of frame you can slide it back without disconnecting the crossover tube which is a pain to drain.
With a tank lift you can pretty much get to it without the tank being in the way.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Here is the PDF link, make sure you reconnect the QD EFI gas line. Make sure you route the wires correctly. Check operation of lights after you plug them back togeth to ensure they work properly, left button left light etc.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04390.pdf

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Then if you place big thick towels on rear bolt hole area and stuff the other one down between tank and top of frame you can slide it back without disconnecting the crossover tube which is a pain to drain.
With a tank lift you can pretty much get to it without the tank being in the way.
Also put a towel on top of the front rocker cover. The crossover fittings WILL scratch it.

Don't ask me how I know.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Dick Gritty
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just cut off my ts from the handle bars and wrapped the wires up good now im blowing a 15 amp fuse on the left side of the fuse box, what is goin on!!!! 2014 fxdb

Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Gritty
i just cut off my ts from the handle bars and wrapped the wires up good now im blowing a 15 amp fuse on the left side of the fuse box, what is goin on!!!! 2014 fxdb
did you isolate each wire? sounds like they may be touching.