Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Fat Bob fender swap, turbostang

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
VA Biker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fat Bob fender swap, turbostang

Ok I got all the parts ,I think. I want to assemble everything before I have the fender painted. First off ,I purchased a sevice manual for Dynas but it dosent have anything on the Wide Glide rear fender assembly for some reason.

I got the fender ,inner supports, and the two small spacers. I want to go without the strut covers like turbostang did. I also got an aftermarket bracket (turbostang hooked me up) that mounts the licends plate just under the back of the fender and uses the Wide Glide light. I think I got that part.

What I dont understand is why I couldnt have used the Fat Bob inner fender supports. The wide glide ones only have one of the holes tapped ,the other is not but it is too small for a clearence hole. There is a large gap between the fender and the struts. The gap is larger towards the front. No way will the small spacers make up for it.

I need to see how this is all suposed to go together. I think all the threads on here just show before and after pics. At least the ones I have found.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

Been looking for info on here ,not much help so far. I did find part numbers of waht I got.

60519-10 Rear Fender, primed
59459-10 Left Fender Support, Black this is a cover ,I didnt get this
59461-10 Right Fender Support, Black this is a cover ,I didnt get this

60936-10 Inner Bracket x2 I got this but dont know why the fat bob ones wont work
11896 Spacer x2 got these but dont know where they go.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
cageddog
Cruiser

Wish I could help a little. I used a lot of the same parts your using. Although when I started to have some fittment issues, a buddy at the local Harley dealership hooked me up with a guy who has more finess with body parts and vision then myself. Sad to say he did the grunt work for me.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you "could" use the Fat Bob inner fender supports. I haven't done this swap, but it only seems logical that if the holes in the fender are spaced the same as the struts, why couldn't you use the Fat Bob supports. That way you just thread your bolts in from the outside right into the supports. I'm also running my struts naked and there is no issue.

I'm guessing the only reason for the difference in the supports is that the wide glide must use the rearward hole for the signal mounting. JMO

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
VA Biker
Tourer

Eric ,that must be what it is. That would explain why the rear hole has no threads and it to small for the mounting bolt. I guess I will be sell ing the Wide Glide supports. I still dont understand how this thing is supposed to fit. It is so mucha narrower than the struts. What are those spacers for?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
turbostang
Cruiser

I never thought to not use the FB inners. Took the old ones off and set them aside. When I get home from work, I'll take a look at them side by side. I need to take off the license plate bracket anyway.

The main point of the spacers is to have a threaded part for the fender support. With the wide glide spacers, the front hole is threaded, but the rear is set up for turn signals. On the Fatbob, both are threaded.

With that license plate bracket, you'll end up having a bolt with a nut on the inside of the fender, and, I've found out it's rubbing on mild turns, let alone deep leans. I'm still working a solution to that. Add on the detachable setup, and the whole thing reeks of some shoddy, pieced together wreck.

Let me know if you're having trouble still. I can take a bunch of pictures tonight when I get home and throw them up on photobucket

The best picture for the assembly MattVA threw out here

T.J.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
VA Biker
Tourer

Thanks for the info. SO are you saying you used the Fat Bab innner brackets or the Wide Glide. Im guessing you use the Fat Bob ones since the rear bracket relocates the sigs.

This big thing I was wondering is did you have a lot of space between the strut and the fender? Does the fender just flex out as you bolt it all up?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 AM
turbostang
Cruiser

I used the wide glide inner brackets. I'll have to check, but the license plate bracket needs two holes per side, and I can't recall if the Fatbob bracket has both holes.

There was a big space at first. The fender just flexes out when you tighten it.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

I see I have to used the WG inner fender brackets with the rear mounted licends plate bracket. Tonight I start putting things together to see how they fit . I put the forward most bolts in and notice even with the spacer the threaded boss part of the bracket protruds through the strut before the fender gets tight. Not sure what Im doing wrong.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you sure you need the spacer? If you put the fender support inside the fender and slide it into the strut, you should be fine. Tighten it up. The fender will draw itself out to the strut and the threaded section will go right into the opening in the strut. That is making the assumption that the threaded portion of the support is not longer than the thickness of the strut. If it is, you can always grind off some of the threaded portion.

Edit: I do not know how the license plate bracket plays into this so you may need to use the spacer on the inside of the support to make up some spacing differences. Just keep playing with it and it will all work out.

Last edited by EricInNCa; 01-27-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Help with Fat Bob fender swap, turbostang