Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Shutoff/Failure to Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motor Shutoff/Failure to Start

Alright guys, I'm in Afghanistan and my buddy at home has been taking care of my bike for the last 6 months. He was getting her all ready for my return in 2.5 weeks and came across these problems...

"1. When attempting to start the bike, I turn the *** on the tank and flip the run switch... I wait a few secs for the check engine light to go off. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes it doesn't. Anyways, I hit the start button and nothing happens. No attempts to crank, no apparent batter drane... nothing. Wait a few secs/mins... go through the start procedure again... sometimes it starts right up and sometimes I have to go through the procedure a few times before it starts.
2. When riding 50 mph down the Pali, the motor just shuts off and I grab the clutch and have to pull over. All the electronics seem to be OK and the check engine light is on. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary (no blinkers, security lights, etc as far as I can tell). I then have the same problems mentioned above when trying to restart the bike. So far, I've never had it cut out on my while I had a lot of gas to the engine. It normally seems to happen when I'm not really throttling it too hard (minimal throttle or none at all - i.e. when I'm approaching or sitting at a stop light).

The check engine light does come on sometimes during the ride - sometimes turn itself off and other times it won't. The engine doesn't appear to be running overly hot (based on temp of my legs)... no burning smells or anything like that."

I've sent him info on how to pull the engine codes from the odometer (unless the info for an 07 Touring is different than an 08 Dyna.)

Any ideas? I'm worried that if my roommate takes the bike to the dealer they're just going to say "Woah, Braddah. That's a TTS tuner! You're on yo' own, Haole."

Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say this, but with an intermittent issue the first thing I would do is get it back to stock. Double check the connections to and from your fuel tuner. If the issues persist, the exhaust and intake have nothing to do with the faults your roommate describes, so you can leave those alone, but any aftermarket computer, tuner or sensors should be pulled and put back to stock. Then, if the issue persists, (and it may not, because there's is a good chance they're the cause) you can start looking for the cause. And as you say, you really don't want the dealer to question the TTS and blow you off.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,982 Likes on 680 Posts

I dont know if this will help being my bike is carbed.
the only time that problem arose for me is when I used the factory
installed security system. After turning it off with the fob I took off down the street and the bike shut down! I had to turn the key off. Engage the security system then turm the system off. After that it started right up. I hope your problem is that simple!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Clicker: The nice thing about TTS is that it's almost all stock. Only the ECM is different and I had nothing but stellar results for 5 months.

Bikenut: I've had an issue with the security system as well. During those times, the speedo died and all the lights came on the center console. The bike, however, still operated just fine and this appears to be a different set of problems.

I think I'll tell my roommate to check the security of the O2 sensors next?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the ground cable on the battery first for loose connection.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on checking the battery cables, when things go wrong I always check the simple stuff first.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,772 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81

Clicker: The nice thing about TTS is that it's almost all stock.

Only the ECM is different
only the ECM is different is a big difference.

that's the first place I would suspect.

what codes are showing up?? may be something easy.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,982 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike T
Check the ground cable on the battery first for loose connection.
Very good point. Im checking mine as soon as I get home!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
fedwa001
Cruiser

At least you spelled Haole right. +1 on the Batter connections. Thanks for your service. Im leaving to head back to my Scoot soon as well.. Cant wait to leave this country. Hopefully I don't have any issues with my bike. Wife unit has been pretty good about starting it up every week.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

Possible short in the run Switch maybe??

Quick Reply: Motor Shutoff/Failure to Start