Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap vs 103 and cams?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM
accura45
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap vs 103 and cams?

im riding a 2008 fxdc with short shots and hi flow air and se super tuner. love this bike but want more power. i ride mostly solo but do ride with the wife 2-up most weekends. im a fairly aggressive riding style. OK.... now for the questions. i am looking at doing a cam swap to gain more power along with the stage 1 i have already done. have been looking at the tw-555 cams as a drop in and also as a 103 build cam with a basic stage 2 103 but substituting the 555 cams over the 255. i have been quoted at 1600 to do a 103 stage 2 kit with 254e cams but just dont know if it will give me what i want for the amount of money. what are your opinions on this? i plan to do head work prolly next winter. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I did cams only ... and not 6 weeks later was back with a big bore kit ....

I would recommend going with both at once if you can swing the cost ... have seen a thread or two about the TW-555 with a 107" that looks really attractive ....

This chart is a Street Glide, I believe with the TW-555 in a 107" with stock heads and throttle body ....

The thread is at https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-moto.html

This dyno chart is from a Dyna sporting the Woods TW6-6 cams https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...yno-chart.html

I was thinking of going with 98" (the equivalent bore of the 107" on the 88" Twin Cam motors) ... but, there was an unannounced sale at the local dealership that made the Screamin Eagle kit competetive from a pricing standpoint and I made the 'impulse buy' ....

I did it myself ... quite a few good how-to write-ups on here ....

I did the stage I for a couple of years ... then finally pulled the trigger on the cams and big bore kit ....

Good luck and keep us posted ....

R/
'Chop

Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Motorhead England
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`d go 103 with 555 cams.

Regards..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll be skipping the 103 and go straight to the 107, with cams, 555's look good

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Do the TW-555 or you might want to consider T-Man's TR-555 cams. If it isn't enough it's not a big deal to bore the cylinders. The thing about doing the 103 is you'll probably want to do the heads too. And if you're going that far might as well true and weld the crank and get timkens installed on the left side. If you do decide to do the 103, Mike at Lozano Brothers Porting in New Braunsfels, Tx told me the way to make power with a 103 is to use the SE 22571-07B pistons with the MVA heads or if you want better heads, send the pistons with your heads to him and he will fit the pistons to them, install larger valves and port them, and save you a few bucks besides. If I was starting from go again that's the way I would go.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 AM
accura45
6th Gear

would doing just some cams and then maybe changing exhaust to 2-1 like fatcat or something make a big increase over the stock cams? really i guess im wondering if doing cams alone will yeild enough benefit for the cost to put them in? im just mainly wondering if doing the 107 fuel moto kit is the best option strictly because everything would be done and then later i would just do heads to boost performance some.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 AM
secondtimearound
Intermediate

Originally Posted by accura45
would doing just some cams and then maybe changing exhaust to 2-1 like fatcat or something make a big increase over the stock cams? really i guess im wondering if doing cams alone will yeild enough benefit for the cost to put them in? im just mainly wondering if doing the 107 fuel moto kit is the best option strictly because everything would be done and then later i would just do heads to boost performance some.
I just changed cams (CR575) and tuner (screaming eagle pro) today and that alone put a really big smile on my face. Has me wondering if I really need to go with a big bore now. was planing a 107" this fall.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

To be really honest, if I was starting from go again I would do the cams, pipe, and ac, tune it and see how it was. Just remember that what may be a good cam for a 96" might not be so good in a 103. That is why I suggested the 555 cams. They should go with either.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 AM
secondtimearound
Intermediate

To be really honest, if I was starting from go again I would do the cams, pipe, and ac, tune it and see how it was. Just remember that what may be a good cam for a 96" might not be so good in a 103. That is why I suggested the 555 cams. They should go with either.[/QUOTE]

thats true, but these cams are made for the twin cam motors, and are a bolt in for the 96". there also used in engines up to 131". i'll attach dyno"s with their head work and the CR575's in a 103" and 107"

Attached Thumbnails cam swap vs 103 and cams?-cr103.jpg   cam swap vs 103 and cams?-cr575-107.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
accura45
6th Gear

would i get enough more performance by going to the higher compression pistons as i am planning to do head work to this build eventually? i would consider doing the mod myself but i dont know much about the tuning. my bike was tuned with the mods that are on it now and if i got the cable for my tuner would i be able to get a map that would be close enough so that i wont break my bike riding it to get tuned? ive done alot of small motor work on like lawn mowers and car motors and stuff but never tuned an efi system.

Quick Reply: cam swap vs 103 and cams?