Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tru NoOb: 2011 Wide Glide? Fat Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Wayne66866
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru NoOb: 2011 Wide Glide? Fat Bob?

Hi Everyone

I am coming off a sport bike an excited to get onto my first cruiser. Figured to go straight to a Harley since I've always wanted one.

I have finally narrowed it down to the 2011 Wide Glide and 2011 Fat Bob. But I'm no sure where to go from here.
I like the feel of the Wide Glide but the look of the Fat Bob. (Haven't ridden either yet).

Pricewise, they're about the same in Toronto.

I plan to keep the bike for at least 5 years to really get into the cruiser riding habit/skill.

Any recommendations? I'm leaning more towards the Wide Glide. Any issues with this bike that I need to know about? I found the seat could be more comfortable. Whats the best gel seat for the Wide Glide?

I going to making the purchase on Saturday so your input would definitely help!

Thanks
Wayne

Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

I love my wide glide but if I was going to do it over again I would have bought a super glide or a street glide. If I was to go the same route of dumping thousands of dollars in mods on it I would go super glide, get the same results (other than the rake) for less initial outlay. If I was just going to buy something to cruise and tour on it would be a street glide, still has great styling and it isnt an out and out geezer glide but definatly more comfortable and easier to make long trips on.

Of the two you are looking at I would say if most of your trips are 100 to 200 miles the wide glide is a great bike, if you are regularly going to rack up a ton of miles then the fat bob would be the way I would go.

These are just my opinions and I dont want to give the impression that you cant tour on a WG becuase you can, but it damn sure doesnt have any storage and to add storage requires changing some of the things that make it such a great looking bike.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Wayne66866
Novice

Thanks. My rides will typically be in the 100 - 200 mile range. I like the Wide Glide too. Just concerned about being able to ride with forward controls - did you have an issue with that when you got on?

Also:
1. Whats the most comfortable gel seat?
2. Whats the best detachable windshield?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne66866
Thanks. My rides will typically be in the 100 - 200 mile range. I like the Wide Glide too. Just concerned about being able to ride with forward controls - did you have an issue with that when you got on?

Also:
1. Whats the most comfortable gel seat?
2. Whats the best detachable windshield?
OK... don't get a windshield... If you have to have a windshield, you want a fatbob. If you plan on bags... you want a fatbob. IMO the wideglide is sexier, the fatbob is more user friendly. Putting a windshield and bags on a wideglide defeats the purpose of the bike's style IMO.
Forward controls... easy as pie to get used to. No brainer there. And gel seats suck! get a good seat without gel...I recommend a mustang tripper or a Corbin.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

I dont have a gel seat so I dont know about that. The forwards are easy to get used to and comfortable to boot. I bought a HD quick detach super sport windshield, I put it on if I am making a long ride but leave it off if I am just bouncing around town or making a short trip. The windshield looks like crap but after getting my *** kicked by texas bugs a few times on a 200 mile ride without it I went ahead and got it.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Wayne, If you like the look of the Fat Bob better then my advice is go for it.
Do a little research and you will find that it get's rave reviews as being one of the best handling bikes HD has ever built.
The Wide Glide is cool but with it's longer rake and skinnier front tire it just won't take the corners the way the Fat Bob does.
Stock seat is decent comfort wise.
Sorry can't help with windshield opinions other than I would never put one on my bike.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:41 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

What do you mean it wont take corners, isnt the front wheel supposed to grab every crack in the road and wander all over the place?

I would imagine Dooley is right, havent ridden the fat bob but my wide glide is no sport bike. It does calm down and track pretty well when I am pushing it hard but if I am just bee boppin along checkin out the scenery it tends to want to use the whole lane some days.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you like being looked at get the WG... if you like carving the twisties get the FB.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonster13
What do you mean it wont take corners, isnt the front wheel supposed to grab every crack in the road and wander all over the place?

I would imagine Dooley is right, havent ridden the fat bob but my wide glide is no sport bike. It does calm down and track pretty well when I am pushing it hard but if I am just bee boppin along checkin out the scenery it tends to want to use the whole lane some days.
Shorter rake on the Fat Bob means quicker steering and easy as pie low speed maneuvering.
The fatter front tire allows a wider contact patch for steeper lean angles while still staying in the comfort zone of those of us who are not the knee dragging type.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Fat Bob is some kind of corner carving rocket....
But for a cruiser, it is sportier than most and it's geometry makes it easier to ride closer to it's limits.
And that makes it FUN

Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooley
Shorter rake on the Fat Bob means quicker steering and easy as pie low speed maneuvering.
The fatter front tire allows a wider contact patch for steeper lean angles while still staying in the comfort zone of those of us who are not the knee dragging type.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Fat Bob is some kind of corner carving rocket....
But for a cruiser, it is sportier than most and it's geometry makes it easier to ride closer to it's limits.
And that makes it FUN
not to mention user friendly and versatile... IMO the fatbob is the best Harley currently made.

Quick Reply: Tru NoOb: 2011 Wide Glide? Fat Bob?