Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why isn't the Fatbob more popular

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fat Bob is definitely unique looks wise, but there's no denying how well they handle. I've rode about every recent model of bike in the HD lineup, and the Fat Bob is by far the best handling bike they make. If people that have never ridden one would go ride one they would understand.

That was actually my first choice when I bought my FXDC in 2012, but my dealer didn't have one in stock & they had just put my FXDC on the showroom floor & it spoke to me.
I also had to consider the price difference...for the difference in price, I could buy my FXDC and do a good amount of customizing and mods for the same money the Fat Bob was with nothing extra. The FXDC just made more sense to me money wise at the time. I love my FXDC but if I were doing it over again I would probably own a Fat Bob instead.

If I were to ever trade or hopefully add another bike to the garage, the Fat Bob will definitely be on the list...nothing wrong with owning more than one Dyna, they're just great bikes. Also, my next or future bike will have less chrome and more black....maybe all black. Another reason I love the Fat Bob & Street Bob. I could start changing chrome parts for black parts on my FXDC, but it would cost too much & would get out of hand quickly.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 11-29-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everybody has different opinions on styling but they should pic a bike that "feels" the best. Harleys are the easiest bike out there to change the look of. Its A LOT harder to change how a bike feels. I truly think the Fat Bob is the best handling Dyna made. I didn't care for the rear fender so I swapped it. Pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. Headlight swaps are simple too. If you NEVER plan on doing any mods then sure, go for the bike you like the looks of stock. But making the bike your own is one of the best things about owning an HD.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:57 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Are you kidding, the bike is SICK....money being plenteous I'd have three bikes; my RK for long hauls, a Fatty and a SB for everything else.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Everybody has different opinions on styling but they should pic a bike that "feels" the best. Harleys are the easiest bike out there to change the look of. Its A LOT harder to change how a bike feels. I truly think the Fat Bob is the best handling Dyna made. I didn't care for the rear fender so I swapped it. Pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. Headlight swaps are simple too. If you NEVER plan on doing any mods then sure, go for the bike you like the looks of stock. But making the bike your own is one of the best things about owning an HD.
This is the truth.

Having owned metric bikes before my Harley, the ability to customize along with being able to get things I wanted --to make the bike look the way I wanted --was a huge factor.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked the fat bob, especially it's pics on HD's website. So I never gave it a second glance when browsing bikes at dealers. Then I saw the 14, sat on it, and took it for a test drive. Found the color I wanted and the rest is history. I can see why some think it's ugly, but I like the Wall-E / Johnny-5 LED tail lights and the front duals grew on me; Makes it a little different right off the bat from other HDs.

Last edited by 14fatbob; 09-08-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 PM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fatbob is one of the most popular export models in Europe and Australia. There is even a dedicated forum FBBF which caters for owners in Belgium and Flemish speaking European countries.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:10 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I love my Fatty. I always kind of wanted a Harley, but I never really liked the styling of a lot of the bikes - too much chrome, fenders too big, too much **** hanging off them - kind of an "old man" styling to a lot of them. I guess my tastes run to the Bobber side of thing rather than more dressy bikes.

My choice came down to the Breakout, Street Bob or Fat Bob. I went to the Dynas for the better handling, and then chose the Fat Bob because it looked so damn mean and had dual front disks and drag bars as stock.

I've had quite a few people ask me what bike it is, as it doesn't look like what many people think a "traditional" Harley does.

I wouldn't change it for the world. I will probably buy another Harley in a couple of years (maybe even a Livewire or whatever the production version ends up being), but I'll never trade the Fatty. I'll just have to make more space in the garage.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:11 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always liked the rear fender but the front end just seemed out of sync with the rest of the bike to me. The bigger front tire....plus the fact, I could only afford ONE bike payment!

I went in wanting a Street Bob and I left with a Street Bob. For me, it worked. If you like the Fatbob, that's all that matters.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPL17
Some people have said they don't like the dual headlights--I happen to like this set up but again it is something than can easily be swapped out. I look forward to your input.
Why swap it out when you can buy a different model without them? I personally don't like anything about the exterior of the Fatbob. Wouldn't make sense to buy something to change to what another model is already equiped with... and for less money.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM
nauzerlvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had my FatBob very long but I can tell you this... I love the bike. Once past the issue with the exhaust, I love the bike - including the dual headlamps and bobbed rear fender. In fact, the rear fender is one of the selling points for me. Mine is a 2011 model in Sedona Orange. I jsut removed the stock exhaust and added the Vance and Hines Staggered Short Shots in chrome and did the Stage 1 air cleaner mod. I also had it dyno-tuned. It handles great, has killer looks and never fails to get attention. I thought I liked my Forty-Eight a lot - this one is the one though! My only complaint now is the tires.... not too wild about them but I don't like the sport bike looking tires on it either. I'll need to put tires on it soon but Im just shopping around right now.... testing the waters so to speak.

I liked the big tires on the Forty-Eight and the FB has the same look. To me it's kind of a low, beefy, brawler style bike much like the SB but different? I thought about the Street Bob bit the dual front discs and the fat tires spoke to me. Two of something is better than one, right? I guess it's like everything else, some like, some hate and some don't give a sh**. You just buy what YOU want and don't worry about what someone else thinks about it.

I added the V&H Exhaust, the chin spoiler, the sissy bar and the Stage 1 AC Mod.... and a few other choice items... yeah, it's a bit loud, but it's a dry loud!

Last edited by nauzerlvr; 09-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Why isn't the Fatbob more popular