Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar wiring just plain beat me up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
dogma20008
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a metal ball chain like the ones they use on dog tags

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
This sounds like a great way to do this! To me it seems that the thicker weed eater line would flex around the bends allowing a natural flow through the pipe. I will have to try this when I do my bars.
True about the thicker weedeater line bending around the curves. It also won't break like fishing line, also doing it this way, you've always got a line through the bars so if you have a wire come untaped or something it isn't a big deal to retape it and start back over. If you have to try to thread a new line or wire through after you've already got few in there you're screwed.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
MacBean
Cruiser

try pulling the outer sleeve thru first then the wire has a conduit to slide thru. also make a long thin tapper with the wires.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've gotta be kidding me, that bar hardly has any bend to it at all. You should take it to someone and have them do it cause if you can't get the wire through the bar there's no way in he!! you'll get the connectors put back together.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by reded
You've gotta be kidding me, that bar hardly has any bend to it at all. You should take it to someone and have them do it cause if you can't get the wire through the bar there's no way in he!! you'll get the connectors put back together.
Umm, it wasn't the first set of bars on the page. You had to scroll down a bit.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Umm, it wasn't the first set of bars on the page. You had to scroll down a bit.

Thanks Jstreet for standin up for me. Yes I have read alot on this forum and will not bash. Some peoples mechanical ability is better in some areas than others. With that said +1 on the vaccum trick have been doing that and it works great, now the weedeater line didn't think of that great idea and will try that next. My main concern was nicking up the wires and having problems down the road. The one wire at a time seems like it would start bunching up at the end but you talked me into it I am going to give it another shot. Thanks everyone and if there are anymore suggestions or tips they would be most welcome.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FATKEVIN
I drilled the bars, they came with the indentations but were not drilled. When I bought them the guy at Biltwell said they could be internally wired.
I would be very cautious of this. If the bars were not made specifically for internal wiring, some of the tubing might have sharp edges inside the bars, at the welds. This might be what is giving you problems. I would pull a single wire through and yank it around some to see if it's getting chewed up somewhere along the line. If there are sharp edges, even if you get the wires through, vibration might cause one to get cut and short out sometime in the future.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: I got the broken wire out and was able to wire the clutch side containing the 8 wires. I did it just as Jstreet said and it worked great. My concern now is since there is no tape around the wires do you think the vibration will nick the wires and cause problems down the line. It is something I have thought about since I got the bars but I don't know how bad the welds are on the inside. The wires came through pretty clean and I taped up where they go into the bars on the top where I drilled and will put some protection on the bottom at the other drill point. Just don't want to get stranded down the line. I know this will go both ways but any input will be helpful.

Thanks
Kevin

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by FATKEVIN
Update: I got the broken wire out and was able to wire the clutch side containing the 8 wires. I did it just as Jstreet said and it worked great. My concern now is since there is no tape around the wires do you think the vibration will nick the wires and cause problems down the line. It is something I have thought about since I got the bars but I don't know how bad the welds are on the inside. The wires came through pretty clean and I taped up where they go into the bars on the top where I drilled and will put some protection on the bottom at the other drill point. Just don't want to get stranded down the line. I know this will go both ways but any input will be helpful.

Thanks
Kevin
There are no guarantees, but I've had z bars wired for 3 years now with no issues. If they came through pretty clean, I'd think you are in pretty good shape.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

GREAT info in this thread! This will make wiring my new bars way easier. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Handlebar wiring just plain beat me up!