Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
owend78
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Fuel gauge

Fuel gauge is broken on my bike, really don't care that it does not work. I estimate my fuel amount through mileage anyway. I have searched through many posts trying to find how and what I would need to just take the fuel gauge off and the components out of the tank, to include the sending unit wire at the bottom external part of the tank. Any thoughts on what can be used to fill the whole where the wires exit the tank and what to replace the gauge with? Any help, thoughts or opinions are well worth a shot. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by owend78
Fuel gauge is broken on my bike, really don't care that it does not work. I estimate my fuel amount through mileage anyway. I have searched through many posts trying to find how and what I would need to just take the fuel gauge off and the components out of the tank, to include the sending unit wire at the bottom external part of the tank. Any thoughts on what can be used to fill the whole where the wires exit the tank and what to replace the gauge with? Any help, thoughts or opinions are well worth a shot. Thank you in advance.
Owen,

Here's a wiring diagram showing the fuel gauge specs. You could use this to determine if it is a gauge or sender malfunction.

Follow this link and you'll find the parts diagrams for '96 FXDWG.....

Choose FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY fill out the form, scroll down, click Add Items to parts list and go to Send to cart find the p/n's. Once you've found the p/n check out Ebay for it......

If you want to take out the fuel gauge, just pull it out.......

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Any thoughts on what can be used to fill the whole where the wires exit the tank and what to replace the gauge with? Any help, thoughts or opinions are well worth a shot. Thank you in advance.
Cigarette lighter?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
owend78
Tourer

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider

Follow this link and you'll find the parts diagrams for '96 FXDWG.....

Choose FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY fill out the form, scroll down, click Add Items to parts list and go to Send to cart find the p/n's. Once you've found the p/n check out Ebay for it......

If you want to take out the fuel gauge, just pull it out.......
Thank you for the links! Very helpful, not a seasoned rider yet so I am trying soak up all this info (lurking) on here.

Much appreciated, trying to find a different (non HD) gauge have only found a few, prefer the flush mounted ones, but have had little success at finding. I know that some parts can cross between the bikes, so if I find one that fits, say a softtail, will it fit my tank with out mods to the metal? I can figure out the wiring somewhere along the way.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
owend78
Tourer

Originally Posted by howitzer88
Cigarette lighter?
Tempting, because the thought had crossed my mind...

Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Thank you for the links! Very helpful, not a seasoned rider yet so I am trying soak up all this info (lurking) on here.

Much appreciated, trying to find a different (non HD) gauge have only found a few, prefer the flush mounted ones, but have had little success at finding. I know that some parts can cross between the bikes, so if I find one that fits, say a softtail, will it fit my tank with out mods to the metal? I can figure out the wiring somewhere along the way.
Owen,

Here are some p/n's for you:

75049-88A GAUGE KIT

75062-90 FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT

Again, try Ebay for these p/n's and be patient till you find them.....

Found this flush set at Ebay:

Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Digging this up, but v-twin manufacturing makes an OE replacement sending unit for the 75062-90

The VT part number is 35-0603