Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Sprocket Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

yah sounds I'm probably not going to mess w/ the coompensator then.

Another thing that worries me about the install is that I have to mess w/ the rear wheel alignment.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
So you guys wouldn't recommend doing the Rev. Industries kit? I read that the its a huge noticeable difference. I read that the front wheel just stays up.

What's the advantage or point of getting the Screamin' Eagle® Big Twin Compensator $249.95? Is the tooth count smaller? Harley says:

"This premium compensator has been engineered with heavier springs and increased travel to support the high-torque output associated with high compression race and large displacement engines. Designed to support up to 7 times the energy absorption capacity of the Original Equipment compensator, this unit helps protect the engine and driveline components during harsh drag race launches."

....so is the only advantage a smoother ride?
Also the huge added cushion for your crank. Like a shock absorber to help keep it from twisting.

I see no mention on this thread about a THIRD viable option:

Clutch basket gear. I swapped my 46 tooth for a 49 tooth and accomplished a similar gain as the 30 tooth tranny pulley would give.
(Beforehand I was looking for the same thing the OP sought, but wouldn't give up my compensator).

Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Where did you get your clutch basket gear from and what brand?

I found this 1 piece basket:

IT'S $1000.00! (it's nice, but way out of my range right now)
They make a 2 piece for $700.

It's the Evolution Industries setup. The RPMs at 70 mph seem much better than their compensator setup.

Last edited by HD Bobber; 03-27-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Where did you get your clutch basket gear from and what brand?

I found this 1 piece basket:

IT'S $1000.00! (it's nice, but way out of my range right now)
They make a 2 piece for $700.

It's the Evolution Industries setup. The RPMs at 70 mph seem much better than their compensator setup.
I went same brand, but not the one piece. I used my stock basket and their gear and chain.

It was around $400 back then, likely a little higher now.
Money well spent!

$700? Holy crap! That's almost double the price in a few years time!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

You might try calling them and see if they have any "blems". It hides inside your primary cover anyway.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:21 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I've been doing more research and I think i'm going with the Andrew 30T Pulley setup.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jshull
here is a link from when i did it, should explain everything. It is by far the best power mod that I have done. makes it very nice to cruise.
Greatly enjoyed your write-up. I had what I thought was an issue in my primary a while ago and came across your post, but I had a couple of questions that you may be able to answer:

-You indicate that you used a wire to mark the outside of the chain. Why is this necessary? Is it a positional thing since the compensating sprocket, chain, and clutch basket is removed/installed as an assembly?

-What did you use as a wedge?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

I've been doing more research and I think i'm going with the Andrew 30T Pulley setup.
I've never heard a poor review from anyone who's made that change.
You should be real pleased!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought... I believe that the 06 Dyna has a larger rear pulley than the 07 and up versions. Maybe somebody could chime in here and confirm this and if it would be an alternative to primary disassemby.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Greatly enjoyed your write-up. I had what I thought was an issue in my primary a while ago and came across your post, but I had a couple of questions that you may be able to answer:

-You indicate that you used a wire to mark the outside of the chain. Why is this necessary? Is it a positional thing since the compensating sprocket, chain, and clutch basket is removed/installed as an assembly?

-What did you use as a wedge?
the wire is to keep the chain moving in the same direction, for wear purpose. as far as the wedge it was from georges garage also, but you could get by with a 1/4 thick 2" wide peice of stock. I was lucky enough to borrow the tools.
I highly recomend the 30t, if you take your time and read your manual it is a breeze, I plan to do a full alingment tomorrow night on my bike per the manual. I get a helluva wobble, at 80ish.

Quick Reply: Compensator Sprocket Upgrade