Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The old Dyna vs FXR debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The old Dyna vs FXR debate

I posted something simlilar in the general forum but thought I'd post here as this forum is where I spend my time...
I recently purchased a 1992 FXR after having to sell my '08 Anniv Low Rider. Sonce that time I have read a lot about the FXR and how the frame was revolutionary but HD purists hated the side covers etc....

so...

I'd like to throw my .02 in the ring here in regards to the old Dyna vs FXR debate as I finally got to spend a couple of hours on the road with my FXR.
I spend the last 3 years on my '08 FXDL Stage 1 and it was a SWEEEET ride. It handles great and was REALLY FAST....especially on the top end.
Here's my old FXDL:

And here's my new FXR:

So... here's my comparison riding impression:
I had heard for years about the infamous FXR handling and always thought that the hype was probably overblown...that it handled good but c'mon, how much better could it handle than say your average dyna or....even a Sporty...for that matter. Welp... I could not have been more wrong.
I am STUNNED... literally STUNNED at how INCREDIBLY GOOD the FXR handles!!! WOW. Corners that I used to have to really lean into and grab some bar are now swallowed up EFFORTLESSLY. It's almost like I look where i want the bike to go and BAM....I'm there!
Seriously...the FXR is THAT GOOD.

It's also pretty fast BUT... can't hold a candle to my FXDL.
The FXR reminds me of my old KZ1000....but BETTER...way better through the twisties!

I miss the Fuel Injection. Having to go back to a petcock and choke kinda blows....but ah well. AND... I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY miss 6th gear!!!!
All in all the FXDL was a MUCH more refined bike, which would be expected as it was 16 yrs newer than the FXR. The FXR Vibrates WAY MORE.... gotta see if I can remedy that. Something tells me motor mounts have been neglected...which is usually the case with older bikes.

These are Both GREAT BIKES. BUT... let's put that whole FXR vs Dyna handling thing to bed once and for all because there is NO COMPARISON. The FXR will EAT ANY Dyna for lunch ANY TIME in the handling dept. It's NIGHT AND DAY.
That being said, Anyone have a 6th gear I can bum? hahahaaa!!!

This frame is SO GOOD I plan dropping in a 103", 6 speed tranny and getting the tins custom painted etc...
HD should FIND A WAY to reproduce this frame.... and market it properly. Sales would go THROUGH THE ROOF! imho.
If moiney were NO OBJECT I'd take my Low Rider over the FXR as it was so much more refined and modern than the FXR. But, I suppose of money were no object I could make the FXR into a medern machine then huh?

Man, I can't believe that guy sold this machine to me for 3900 bones!!!
As the Grateful Dead used to say, "One man gathers what another man spills!"

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got a heck of a deal. Lots you can do to make that bike run stronger (and have 6th gear)- just takes $$

Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't even know there was a difference. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

My first two Harleys were FXRs and the fourth was a Dyna. I know what you mean about the Twin-Cam power, but I never got to ride both close enough together to make a handling comparison. I have thought that taking the running gear and TC from a late model and sticking it in a FXR frame would be interesting. Maybe an 07 or 08 FL model gear. I think the TC engine would fit in the frame, but I don't know if the engine would bolt up to the early model tranny.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great analysis. Do you the weight difference between the FXR and the 08 FXDL?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

my dad has a 90 FXR Superglide and I couldn't agree with you more. I learned on that bike and every time I go home to visit I try to take it out and still drops into turns like it did 12 years ago when I was learning.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote=creekhed1;8170144]

HD should FIND A WAY to reproduce this frame.... and market it properly. Sales would go THROUGH THE ROOF! imho.
/quote]
That will never happen. MoCo doesn't build and market bikes that handle.

The majority of h-d buyers that they build bikes for are looking to buy X-mas trees. They want something that they can hang expensive chrome **** off.

The segment of h-d buyers that understand performance and handling is so small that the Co can't build a bike just for them.
That has been proven with XLCR, XR100, 883/1200R, FXR, FXDX .... and if anyone remembers 883 Roadracing. There was ZERO interest from harley crowd to support the racers.
Pirates are more interested in "evil" looking bikes .....

Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Quad D
Cruiser

Thanks creekhed, that is good to know. I have really been considering my next bike being an FXR, maybe even 99 FXR. Price is right for them now and again and I've heard the handling stories. To add to that I think they may be the best and sexiest looking bike out there. I have read elsewhere that you can drop a twincam in them with a few minor changes, but I don't have details on it. Great lookin' bike you got there!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

The FXR frame was so good because it was actually an FLT frame chopped down a bit. Thats why so many parts fit FLT/FXR during those years. That's why the funky side covers that made some owners said it looked " Japanese." Shorter primary covers on both bikes, that "V" tubing just behind the tranny that kept everything stiff. Great motorcycles, and too exspensive for HD to produce in limited numbers. Thus the Dyna in 1994......Oh well.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Now I really want to find one myself !

Quick Reply: The old Dyna vs FXR debate