Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is the best EFI tuner with no crazy modifications

When looking for a new EFI tuner there could be a lot of information out there that is difficult to wrap your head around. Users give their opinion of what is the best tuner out there that doesn't have too many bells and whistles for a decent price.

Read the full discussion below for more information
Print Wikipost

Best tuner ?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM
HawgJockey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my local H-D dealer yesterday and asked the service manager what tuner they use. They use a Dobeck tuner. Have not even seen this tuner mentioned on this site. Does anyone here know any pros or cons about this tuner. http://www.electronicjetkit.com/default.asp The price of the tuner for my SuperGlide is about $250. Price is not really an issue for me. I just want a real good one that wont void my extended warranty...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM
gorgenzola
Novice

I loved the Dolbeck TFI on my bandit. I'll probably get the same for my street bob. I love being able to tune all the settings with a screwdriver on the fly - use the seat of my pants dyno. Sure I won't squeeze every last HP out of it like a dyno tune, but I'm riding a cruiser because I don't need every last HP.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why has no one mentioned the Power Vision? This is a great little tuner. Has auto tune built in now and uses your existing ECM and O2 sensors. You can get the auto tune module for it to expand the auto tuning functionality with the added wide band O2 sensors. Easy install and setup and you dont need a PC to tune it. You can still fine tune it with a PC if wanted but the all in one handheld device makes life simple.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

I don't have tuner yet probably gonna have to get one, for ease of use the powervision seems pretty good to, just plug it in at fuse box

Whereas Powercommander looks like a lot of mucking around, and not much room under seat
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took a Dobeck TFI off my 2010 FXDC & replaced it with a Power Vision. The Dobeck did a good job of removing my decel pop, but shot my gas mileage in the ***. Put the PV on last week, and there is an unbelievable difference. The Dobeck is basically just an injector tuner. Nothing more. You really can't compare it to an actual tuner.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
I just took a Dobeck TFI off my 2010 FXDC & replaced it with a Power Vision. The Dobeck did a good job of removing my decel pop, but shot my gas mileage in the ***. Put the PV on last week, and there is an unbelievable difference. The Dobeck is basically just an injector tuner. Nothing more. You really can't compare it to an actual tuner.
yeah but if all your doing is stage 1 then all you really need is an injector tuner.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Zippers thundermax with autotune!

The best!!!!

Moderator please close this thread!

Lol j/k

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
TheSickening
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Read the thread you just posted in.
^^^^^HAHAHA! Classic!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM
TheSickening
6th Gear

Looks like it's been a while since anyone's posted here, but just wanted to say:

Thanks to Robotech for the very informative and comprehensive post on the subject. And thank you for admitting that you are still learning and are open to corrections. Anyone that tells you they know everything about tuning is probably blowing smoke up your @ss. Thanks to those who have posted here with corrections and or comments.

Also, some posts mentioned either unplugging your stock O2 sensors, or there not being a difference in using a narrowband over a wideband. First, any device that would have you unplug your stock O2 sensors, imo, is garbage. The whole point of having 02 sensors is so that the ECM can see exactly what is in the exhaust, and adjust as necessary. Unplugging your 02 sensors is like riding your bike down the road blindfolded. You may be able to do it, but won't know when a turn is coming up. As for the narrow/wide band 02's, if you are running narrowband (stock) 02's and your bike seems to be running fine, then cool! But, wideband sensors allow for better resolution, allowing the ECM to 'see' the exhaust values in more detail, and therefore can correct air/fuel ratios to an even finer degree.

Hope this helps!
Happy riding!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSickening
. As for the narrow/wide band 02's, if you are running narrowband (stock) 02's and your bike seems to be running fine, then cool! But, wideband sensors allow for better resolution, allowing the ECM to 'see' the exhaust values in more detail, and therefore can correct air/fuel ratios to an even finer degree.
That's true but does it improve anything in reality?

Two reasons it might not (or not much):

1. That degree of fine-tuning on a street bike is not going to get you much, especially on a relatively crude HD. The majority of people adding a tuner are doing a stage-1 and that will net you 10% over stock. You will get that (with a 2006+ bike) whether you add no tuner, add some Xieds, add a PCV, add a proper tuner with a canned map, add a tuner and get it dynoed...

Some of those will improve engine temps, low speed surging, etc too of course. And maybe find you an odd HP. You will get that regardless of the sensor type though.

2. GIGO. The old computing adage: Garbage In Garbage Out.

A setup with wideband sensors is only as good as the base tune. If its a perfect tune then this perfect tune will be maintained through varying conditions. If the tune is a bit crap then a wideband system will do an equally excellent job of maintaining that crap tune. How many of us have a perfect tune?

Basically, there are really good reasons that the vast majority of even high performance vehicles go with narrowband systems: they are reliable, cheap and they do all that's needed. If they would really help then you can bet that Ferrari, Jaguar, Porche, etc would be fitting them as standard because they wouldn't be bothered about a few extra $ a wideband system would cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tuner ?