Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Tires on my Fat Bob.. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 PM
pjcolorado
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock Dunslops SUCK!!!

I've changed out the stock Dunlops on all my bikes almost immediately after purchasing them. Usually with Metzeler ME888 tires. Last year though I bought a 2003 100th Anniversary VROD and they put on new Cobra's for me. Wow. What a sweet ride. Then a week later I got a 2011 Fat Bob. The tires were stock and totally worn out at 7700 miles. I talked to the dealership (non Harley dealer) they agreed to split the cost of new tires with me. I should have done my homework first because I let them talk me into stock Dunlops again. The tires now have about 750 miles on them and I can't wait to get rid of them. They are terrible on the Colorado roads and highways. I feel like I have no confidence. I've been riding no2 for about 24 years and have had dozens of bikes but have never cared for the Dunlops with the exception of Dunlop Elite 3's which is what they put on my Goldwing to replace the crappy stock Dunlops that it came with.
Unfortunately since we just put new Metzeler tires on my wife's Harley I can't get the Cobra's just yet. I think I will just have to do burn outs for a while so I can use the excuse my tires are worn out.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was interested in some Avon's, but the indy in town talked me out of them. He said six to seven thousand miles would be all I could get out of them. They do really look nice though.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM
p3ozman
Cruiser

I got 11k miles out of my 200 Avon rear tire.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Aurimas
2nd Gear

Put a fresh pair of rubbers on a FXDF 2009 at 20k miles and will check back with the exact mileage when its time to change them. Replaced my standard HD Dunlop (~14K miles) tires with the Avons:
Avon Cobra AV71 Cruiser Motorcycle Tire Front -150/80-16 Avon Cobra AV71 Cruiser Motorcycle Tire Front -150/80-16
Avon Cobra AV72 Cruiser Motorcycle Tire Rear -200/60-16 Avon Cobra AV72 Cruiser Motorcycle Tire Rear -200/60-16

&
THEY r AWESOME!!! What a difference; like a swiss army knife against a soggy toothpick! Because I like to scrape my V&H pipes on them corners and rub my knees on the asphalt, these are the tires for it until I find something better. My MPG must be half of what it used to be because im glued to the road like a fly on a honey trap! If you ask me, pay the extra $35ish bucks and you will feel the difference in traction (to the HD dunlops). Overall, that fuzzy feeling that your rear end will NOT fish tail out from under you when your slicing into them curves knee deep is priceless.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Is there any disadvantage to running the oversize Avons to the stock sized that they offer?
I'm trying to decide between running the stock size the stock size Avons to the larger 150 front & 200 rear. The issue being I like being able to be flat footed at stop lights.
Does ride height remain the same?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
Is there any disadvantage to running the oversize Avons to the stock sized that they offer?
I'm trying to decide between running the stock size the stock size Avons to the larger 150 front & 200 rear. The issue being I like being able to be flat footed at stop lights.
Does ride height remain the same?
Ride height would change ever so slightly
Handling would be slightly slower/heavier with the over sized I'd think

Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM
09 fatjoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same but different

From what I saw, it looks like the 150 is taller than stock. A 180 would be a bit lower than stock, which would mimic the 200 in the rear. Anyone try a 180? Looks like the bolts that hold the front fender would need to be reversed from the direction they are in now, but not sure of anything beyond that. The 180, I think, is about 2 inches wider than stock...it would be really close to the forks. Of course math always works out on paper and tire sizes can vary....Anyone try it?

Well, wheels came in so I rolled the rear wheel to the front to test for fitment. The math did work in real life, as it did on paper. There are other factors not yet tried, but it free spun with the fender off. The brake disks where not put on, which shouldn't be a problem as they are out of the way of the hot zone, clearance wise. The dual disk also, in my guess, makes the wheel itself not an issue for being in line. The 180 is a bit wide and the clearance a bit to close for my taste, but it will fit. A rear wheel would be needed, but a stock rear rim maybe a plausible ebay item.

Besides a slower turn, heavier feel, possible more brake consumption, and less power are there any other concerns to running a rear wheel on the front?

Last edited by 09 fatjoe; 08-13-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: answered my posed question.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Iculukn2
1st Gear

Just completed the Avon Cobra 200 Rear/150 Front and I swear it's a better ride than ever before. Thanks for posting your thoughts as well, made my decision easy.
-Donald

2009 FXDF

Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Jgity
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running a 200 hand have no problems at all. 2010 fatbob

Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Proline1969
Cruiser
Received 184 Likes on 72 Posts

Cant wait till i need new tires !