Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this

Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this

Doug - I feel there is a huge difference with a windshield - both in terms of protection from things like rain & bugs, and also wind force against the body. much more comfortable on long rides

Old 10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - was out riding today and did a few tests.

First, I tried ducking my body down lower to see how the buffeting changes. Normally I am looking over the top of the windshield, which means my head must be 6-10 inches above the top. When I duck low, the buffeting decreases. This would tend to indicate the buffeting is coming from an airstream over the top of the windshield.

I then rode and moved my face forward almost touching the windscreen. Buffeting stopped.

My conclusions would tend to be that the buffeting is NOT coming from underneath the windshield - because if it was, I would suspect it would be worse as I moved close to the shield (basically right on top of the gap between the tank and windshield). Instead the opposite happened. I would guess there is disturbed air rolling over the top of the windshield which is hitting the top of the helmet. I talked with one parts dealer who was musing that the newer HD quick-release windshields are almost up and down (vertical) - little slant to them. He thought that would make for quite a bit of turbulence coming off of that top edge. A more slanted windscreen would be more aerodynamic, disrupt the airstream less, and perhaps cause less vortex behind.

However, other people's experience tend to be contrary to my own tests - when they have blocked the lower area, buffeting is reduced. I'm not sure this isn't changing the overall aerodynamics though and simply changing how the wind streams around the screen (maybe causing a slight vacuum behind it that sucks the air around it).

Anyway - will keep gathering data.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running w/ a Memphis Shades Rio Grande.
I started with the Del Rio, butfound that it was to short and was getting blasted with the wind over the top in my face. When I swapped to the Rio Grande the over the top wind was significantly reduced. I still am looking over the top of the sheild 4-6".

At speeds over 70 mph, I get buffetting. I have found that the majority of it is coming from the lower corners (sides & bottom) of the shield.

Some days are better than others, depending on wind direction. I occasionally take it off around town but on the highway, I will put up with the buffetting rather than having to put up with the wind hitting me directly in the chest causing the "sail" effect and having to hold on a little tighter.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to not even think about using a windshield, until one day out riding and at 60mph passed a truck hauling hay. Lets just sat this, that have you heard the story about the piece of straw that in a hurricane pierced a tree or 2x4? Well it was not hurrican strength wind, but me going 60mph and the straw flying off the truck that I passed must be fast enough to cause a nice little lower forhead cut by a piece of the straw. Never would have thought that this was possible or would happen, but trust me it did. The other thing is that some time ago I was on the freeway, 70mph and I have no idea where the little rock came from, but in the nose and cheak it does hurt a bit at 70mph. So now I have a windshield for highway travel. Besides the reasons I just spoke of, I was amased at how much better my arms felt after a long ride, it seems that I was not having to hold on as tight as before, or that I was able to move around alot easier and back felt better also. May just be me but I really like my Memphis shade.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Well, don't think I've ever felt helmet buffeting so can't say what it feels like. I do feel bike buffeting big time, when the wind is blowing from the side. I ride an '04 WG with an HD short windshield. It stops way below my eyes, so although I don't get blasted in the face, I definately get turbulance. Riding head-on into the wind isn't bad, but you can definately feel the resistance. The windshield keeps me from getting blasted in the chest, so I always ride with it - I find it tiring to fight the wind. I noticed around 75 or so, things actually smooth out, and maybe that's because the wind is kicking up over me - don't know. I thought it was weird to get buffeted around with such a heavy bike though.

I love my WG for commuting and short trips < 100 miles, but thinking about riding it for a long trip makes me cringe...I know if I rode an Electra-Glide, I'd be hooked by the comfort, but the WG looks so friggin cool Still trying to style in my 40's, what the hell.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:36 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

When I first installed it the buffeting was terrible even at low speeds. I raised it up an inch and kept changing the angle of the screen til the buffeting was eleminated but there was still a ton of wind coming up from around the tank. Did a tank lift and put a small handlebar bag at the base of the screen and have no buffeting at all and not much wind coming up from the tank. I can run for hours at eighty and be very comfortable with a half helmet on.

Good Luck

Tom
Did the Tank Lift kit really make that much of a difference in the buffeting around your helmet? I get a lot around my helmet with my windshield on. Usually starts around 45-50 mph and continues as speed increases. I have noticed that a headwind makes it worse and a tailwind decreases it.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck
I have been in Wichita and area for the week end,, Left Tues. morning it was 31 degrees Burrrr.. Maybe next time we can get together.... About half way back to Houston I was noticing a strange thing,, sometimes buffeting was noticable, sometimes it was not even there.. What it turned out to be was as I was chilled I would hug the gas tank with my legs,, as I would relax and let the wind slightly seperate my legs, the buffeting would start... Legs against the gas tank , no buffeting... Legs away from gas tank, buffeting..
I have had the tank lift for some time, and I did notice a change in the direction of the air flo when I first raised it up, however this is my first trip with a windshield.. So I cant judge a before and after differances with a windshield,, But I know, I wont make that trip again without it...

Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM
dres22
Intermediate

I have a 2005 Lowrider. I do not like windshields but traveling at highwayspeeds without leaves one very tired after a day of riding. Purchased a detachable full lenght compact windshield. I was looking over this by about 2-3 inches. At speeds of 65 or greater the head buffeting was terible. Hitting my glasses and causing shaking where it was hard to see clearly. First I made a custom mount to get more angle to the windshield. This reduced turbulance some but also lowered the shield height. Still getting bad buffeting. There is wind coming up from the sides of the tank but the air over the shield is what was causing my eyes to vibrate. Decided to cut the shiled down to get my head into clear air. I made several cuts and ended up with the shield only 9 inches above the headlight. With this my head now is in completly clean air but the majority of the windblast to the chest is gone. I have found riding my bike at highways speed the most enjoyable it has ever been. The turbulant wind coming off the windshiled now hits me in my neck area which has a very small surface area. The wind coming up from the tanks is almost gone as the short shield does not cause such a large low preasure area behind the shield (my guess). Finally the bike with the windshield looks great now! I like it so much it stays on all the time. It does not compare t a bagger with a full valance and lowers but I did not buy my Lowrider to be a touring bike. Just a great all around bike that I can take on the ocasional longtrip.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't beat my own dead horse again but at this point, I've pretty much given up on using either the standard or low-profile quick detach shields on my Low Rider. I've literally spent hours testing the different mounting heights and different helmets and I continue to get serious buffeting at speeds around 65+mph.(sdBy serious, I mean to the point of having double vision.) At this point, I'm back to riding with only a fullface for protection. No more buffeting or double vision but obviously the windblast at highway speeds can get tiring after awhile - but it's a trade I'm willing to make at this point.

Something I mentioned in another thread... with either quick detach windshield attached and at speeds 75+ and against a strong headwind, I definitely can feel the front end getting squirrelly. (I'm running the stock Dunlops and keep keep 'em at 30/40 front/rear.) I've had the front end checked and re-torqued as part of the 600 mile service but there was not a noticeable difference. I really like the clean mounting system of HD's quick detach windshields but at this point, I find this useless for me for the reasons mentioned above.

I now have an appreciation for the Road Glide I use to own. The frame-mounted fairing kept the steering relatively light (at least lighter than an Electra) but offered very good wind protection - even against strong headwinds.

Ok, I'm through whining now.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:15 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser

My stock 05 RKClassic windshield created some buffeting at highway speeds, it is taller than my eyesight line. Bought a Rifle 2" lower shield so I now look over and not through the shield, buffeting decreased 98%. I wear a baseball cap backwards and it does not try to blow off at 70mph. Windshield height plays a very large role in turbulance around your head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Buffeting - let's understand this