Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 FXD fuel filter change....14 dollars and 1 hrs time

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 FXD fuel filter change....14 dollars and 1 hrs time

Just about at 30k miles now, ordered a new fuel filter [14 dollars] from my local Indy and decided i would change it out today.Its actually a pretty easy job if you have a service shop manual and have some mechanical abilities [ i am an aircraft mechanic]. I did not drain the fuel tank, saw no reason to do that, it had about a 1/4 tank of fuel in it and it presented no problem at all.The job takes about an hour if you have your tools ready to go and are not looking for this allen head, or that Torx bit etc....It is a little tricky getting the whole assy put back in the tank after changing out the filter and o ring.
Good idea to use a torque wrench, especially on the cover plate #25 torx bit screws which only need 20 in lbs , any much more can crack it if your not careful.I re-used the old plate seal, just put a light coat of Vasoline on it and set it in place and torqued it down with no problems [old seal had plenty of rebound in it due to the low torque on the screws].

Note, the old filter looked very dark and dirty, but upon closer observation while separating the pleats i did not see much actual debris particles etc.The dark grimey look of the filter was more discoloration than anything, but it was certainly ready to be changed out.

I believe earlier model FI bikes had a different fuel pump/ filter assy that was a pain in the a$$ because some did not have the car type quick disconnect fuel connectors like this 2008 model has.....Its actually a pretty nice set-up, and a job that could be easily done on the side of the road if need be, providing you have the proper Torx and Allen head bits.

The following 2 users liked this post by joesride:
Capt_Salty (03-31-2019), fxdup (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM
brad Y
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thank you

Thank you for this. I am about to change out my filter on my 2008 FXD. Did you happen to take pics? The manual is showing a totally different tank, and mine has hex bolts not torx. I've never done it before and I was about to drain out the tank and all that but I don't think I'll need to after reading this. I'm a backyard mechanic though, not mechanically trained but I know how to use a torque wrench and basics.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:56 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,711 Likes on 2,055 Posts

....when reinstalling the top plate tighten in the pattern shown in the manual....
....I don't torque these. I watch the space between the tank and the plate....
....snug them down good. do not overdo it.

..............the filters........................

....I like a light coat of white grease on this O-ring...............

The following 2 users liked this post by mud:
Capt_Salty (03-31-2019), fxdup (03-30-2019)