Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long legs with a Strange electrical buzzing, Any help???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Vickers
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long legs with a Strange electrical buzzing, Any help???

Sorry to disappoint but the buzzing isn't any adult toy, lol Just a throwing a teaser in there.....

Anyway, as always, start with what you have, so 2010 FXDWG. Last Aug my turn signals developed a short, left button wouldn't work and the right switch made the hazards come on. Still under warranty so I took it to the dealer and they troubleshot it for a day, and turned out to be the entire switch housing. So they swapped it.

After getting it back, everything worked fine, and still does....Almost...It's the weirdest thing. At a standstill, everything works as advertised with no sound, but while moving, (Decelerating is the only time I notice it, for obvious reasons) when I apply the front brake, I get a buzzing sound from the Left hand control. Rear brake doesn't cause anything abnormal. All of the brake lights, signals, and indicators work. The rate of the buzzing sound is also proportional to my speed, not the engine, but the bike. The faster I'm moving, the higher the frequency. It sounds vaguely like arcing current. Even at speed, with the wind noise going 60, I can hear it, and once im somewhere between 5mph and stopped it ends.

I had the dealer look at it and they couldn't find anything, but they might have just rode it around the lot and tested it at a standstill.

Is this normal?!??!? This is my first HD, but i didn't notice it during the first 1.5k miles before the original signal switch housing went bad. As I mentioned, so far there is nothing wrong with the bike, just the nagging buzz and the thought it might be arcing inside the left side housing. Any thoughts or experiences similar would help, if only to find out I'm spazzing over nothing.

And for reading, here's a laugh...

Nothing beats vending machines on Wake island!!
Beer, Smokes, and candy bars...all you need on a deserted island!

Thanks

V

Attached Thumbnails Long legs with a Strange electrical buzzing, Any help???-p7140181.jpg   Long legs with a Strange electrical buzzing, Any help???-p7140180.jpg  

Last edited by Vickers; 05-25-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so it does it only when you apply the front brake or all the time??

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Vickers
Novice

Only when i squeeze the brake. Its the same by gently squeezing it, or full braking. It seems to be something with the brake position switch (relay contact) in the right side lever, but the sound is most defiantly from the left side handle area. I'm complexly stumped by this, hence the post.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

I get a buzzing sound when I apply the front brake, but it's coming from the caliper and disc, not the controller. I think it's the cooling vents rubbing on the pads. Perhaps the vibrations are transmitting through the brake line? I dunno.

Last edited by cjlandry; 05-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had it ever since I installed lindall pads up front. Very annoying at first but tune it out now. You really sure it is not the pads?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Vickers
Novice

Very well might be, didn't even think of it being that the caliper and pad is on that side. Just rode back from work, and that would explain the change in sound with speed. I think I have my answer. I tried to listen to the caliper vs the housing, well, not so far as to climb on top of the bars, but it seems that is the culprit.

Thanks

V

Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has made that noise since around 3k miles, but only when I apply the brake. However, my "sound" is down near the tire, which I just assume to be debris.

FYI - My rear caliper warped and was replaced under warranty. Made a similar sound all the time.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
cjlandry
Road Master

Any further thoughts on this? I was in the neighborhood this morning, so I stopped by the dealer to inquire about a brake pad upgrade. They said they only sell stock, and I told them about the sound. They suggested taking it into the service department, so I let the service manager ride around on it a bit. He said the same thing I said, that it's not abnormal, just slightly annoying.

I might try some aftermarket pads. Any recommendations?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlandry
I get a buzzing sound when I apply the front brake, but it's coming from the caliper and disc, not the controller. I think it's the cooling vents rubbing on the pads. Perhaps the vibrations are transmitting through the brake line? I dunno.
+1.... been getting the same sound since new from the front bake

Old 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Jerseybob
Advanced

My 2011 makes the same sound, I also beileve its the pads and disc making that noise.

Quick Reply: Long legs with a Strange electrical buzzing, Any help???