Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:00 AM
ebranman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower

Why is it that Harley doesn't post horsepower in their bike literature, website, etc. for their bikes. Only torque is posted. Does anyone know the stock horsepower of a 88 cu in Low Rider? And how about the difference with Stage 2 SE pipes?
Thanks! Eric

Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 AM
thebestofindica
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Horsepower

A stock 88 will be putting down right at 60HP and with pipes, air cleaner and tune or jets you will be right around 70HP. Harleys are not known for their brute horsepower. A stock VTX1300 will smoke a 88 with pipes, a/c and tune. That's just the name of the game. I didn't buy a harley for the horsepower and I can't say that I know many folks that did either. If you want horsepower with a harley, buy a streetrod.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think because as far as horsepower goes, there isn't much to talk about for a stock 88. But with a few mods, you can get the torque and horsepower up. Then its just a matter of how much you want to spend

Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Good question. Does anyone know the torque of a stock 88 too?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

My Honda V-30 (500cc) made 65hp stock, and was fun/ redlined at 12500rpm.

Torque is what Harley considers the "fun factor", and after riding mine awhile I came to really enjoy the torque factor.

I opened my pipes up, and put a full flow A/C on mine, gained 14hp, and lost 5-8 lbs. of torque.

Well, the bike wouldn't go over 107 mph before increasing air flow, and now does 120 mph with no problem (can't hold on without the backrest). Doesn't seem quite as fun getting there, though.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but I want that torque back. I guess Harley doesn't find HP important, nor is it considered real.

Can't have one without the other.

DougJ

Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Good question. Does anyone know the torque of a stock 88 too?
It's in the sales brochures and on HD's website.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

horsepower = (Torque * RPM) / 5252

or

Torque = (HP * 5252) / RPM

Old 11-02-2006, 01:08 AM
crashbox
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DenimStreet, You've got some good numbers there !!
My Dealer told me that a stock EFI 88 will output around 60 HP and about 60 Lb/Ft of torque
My setup shows 71 HP and 70 Lb/Ft on the Dyno. I could probably find a little more if I had a PC III or a SERT. By the seat of my pants, this thing makes great power and sounds good and rip snort'in... It's exactly what I need.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

How about a photo of that baby?
ORIGINAL: crashbox

DenimStreet, You've got some good numbers there !!
My Dealer told me that a stock EFI 88 will output around 60 HP and about 60 Lb/Ft of torque
My setup shows 71 HP and 70 Lb/Ft on the Dyno. I could probably find a little more if I had a PC III or a SERT. By the seat of my pants, this thing makes great power and sounds good and rip snort'in... It's exactly what I need.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley always pushes their torque numbers..basically because that's the design of their engines...they're emphasis is on low end torque. Horsepower isn't really as important when talking about low reving/high torque motors.

Consequently, when you read about the Jap rice rockets, you'll always see their horsepower numbers. Those bikes also redline at around 13000 RPMs.

I guess the thinking is, when you're at 180 mph, those extra horsepower makes quite a bit of difference...but when you're concerned with those off the line/0-60 times, it's the torque that matters.

Of course...this is just my understanding of it all...which I suppose could be wrong...I'm not an engineer or anything

Todd

Quick Reply: Horsepower