Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a cheap steering damper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a cheap steering damper?

Then look no further than the DBI Steering damper. The one sold by bkrider and found everywhere for $100. Because it is cheap. A cheap piece of **** that not only comes with no instructions, but is missing necessary parts for proper installation as well.

But wait, there's more. After you get the necessary washers and spacers (since the ones they supply don't fit any bolts) and you get the brackets installed on the frame and triple tree it still doesn't work. You cant install the damper holder because the bolt begins to hit the frame, which in turn keeps it from screwing in properly.

F--ing piece of ****.

Get what you pay for.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't expect much from a $100 steering damper. It's probably just for looks if anything.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it will alert others and prevent them from making the same mistake. Will DBI take it back and refund your money?

I looked at that (or a similar model) and decided to open the wallet and go for the Storz-Ceriani damper. Great quality, customer service and it bolted up perfectly. As you stated, you get what you pay for.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a cheap steering damper?-img_0588.jpg   Looking for a cheap steering damper?-img_0589.jpg   Looking for a cheap steering damper?-img_0590.jpg   Looking for a cheap steering damper?-img_0591.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just got one.
had very similar issues putting it on.
i did get mine to work. or atleast bolt up, i havent ridden much with it on, so i dont know if it'll do a damn thing.

it doesnt come with directions, but the bkrider site does have a youtube installation video which is somewhat helpful, although still requires some macgyvering.

if you want advice on how to bolt it up, lemme know and i'll explain what i did.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM
neocontra
Banned

No I'm not doing any of that..the days of rigging something to work right when it should just work are over for me. Not worth it.

If this set up is so cheap they can't install some non crushable washers that are the correct size, or the parts fabbed correctly to fit, then I don't trust using this thing.

I opened a Pay Pal dispute and Bkrider is going to send me a prepaid shipping label for a return, so have been waiting on that. While the item sucks, at least bkrider is stepping up to do the right thing and take it back.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really wasn't that much of a hassle, just required two extra washers and some tight tolerances with fitment. Definitely could have been designed better, but as long as the actual damper works, I don't really care too much.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
03FXD-LOW
Cruiser

Hey big daddy...where did you get your Storz?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought it directly from Storz.

http://www.storzperf.com/index.html

Scroll about 1/2 way down and click on the dampers.

Originally Posted by 03FXD-LOW
Hey big daddy...where did you get your Storz?