Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF front end to FXWG conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FXDF front end to FXWG conversion

I'm really liking the new Wide Glide.

I'm thinking of swapping out my Fat Bob front end for a wide glide front end.

Anyone done it or have pics?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

You won't get the exact same look. The Wide Glide frame has more rake in the neck than the Fat Bob frame if I understand things correctly, since it's a different part number. There is some rake built into the trees as well, but not enough to give you the exact same look.

I do believe you can buy some aftermarket bearing cups that will give you the equivalent frame rake though. I'm sure someone else will have more information.

Just so you know, you're giving up some handling with that increased rake and skinnier front tire. Of course, you could always just go back to the dealer and work out a trade.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
reclaimer53
Tourer

Maybe a test ride is in order first.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM
billjoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
Just so you know, you're giving up some handling with that increased rake and skinnier front tire. Of course, you could always just go back to the dealer and work out a trade.

Sorry to jump here in the middle but I have a question. You state that the increased rake and skinnier tire will make it lose some handling..granted. But I have a 2010 FXDWG and the front end seems to wobble and bounce at speed(60 mph plus) or if I go over any difference of pavement at all. Now I am tall...6'4" at @250 with a lot of the weight and all of the height above my waist...kinda like a big sail. I can see where I could be the problem but what are your feeling about the rake and tire? Could it be an inherrant problem with them?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by billjoat
Sorry to jump here in the middle but I have a question. You state that the increased rake and skinnier tire will make it lose some handling..granted. But I have a 2010 FXDWG and the front end seems to wobble and bounce at speed(60 mph plus) or if I go over any difference of pavement at all. Now I am tall...6'4" at @250 with a lot of the weight and all of the height above my waist...kinda like a big sail. I can see where I could be the problem but what are your feeling about the rake and tire? Could it be an inherrant problem with them?
Sorry, I didn't see your post but I'll reply now. It sounds like what you're describing is typical behaviour of a 21" wheel. They tend to "hunt" around if there are any imperfections in the pavement because they are a narrow tire. For example, grooved pavement about to be repaved is famous for making Wide Glide front ends feel squirrely. The same is true for metal grated bridges, metal seams in the roadway, etc...

Don't get me wrong, the Wide Glide is not unsafe. It's just a different animal because of the narrower front tire and the increased rake. It will bounce around more and it will "hunt" more. If you're used to it you won't even notice it, but since the OP is coming from a Fat Bob with a 130 front tire and a short rake, it was worth mentioning.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

That pretty much describes it. Yesterday I put 16 lbs of lead in the bag on the forks. The extra weight was all it needed to stay much quieter on the highway. Steering is naturally slow due to the rake and the extra weight didn't seem to bother it at all.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by reclaimer53
I'm really liking the new Wide Glide.
I'm thinking of swapping out my Fat Bob front end for a wide glide front end.
Anyone done it or have pics?
I think you should trade the FB in for a WG, then swap the rear fender... you'll end up where you want to be for a lot less.

What year is the FB?
How many miles are on it?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 AM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Default 2008

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I think you should trade the FB in for a WG, then swap the rear fender... you'll end up where you want to be for a lot less.

What year is the FB?
How many miles are on it?
It's a 2008 with 9,000 miles.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
caaraa
Banned

I do believe you can buy some aftermarket bearing cups that will give you the equivalent frame rake though. I'm sure someone else will have more information.