Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks option

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Air shocks option

I have been looking at a few threads about air shocks, I want it! Do you guys buy aftermarket or HD? This SB will be my solo ride, lower the better. Is the HD one 12.5inch?
Do you think this one will fit? click here By the way, I want a black pair. Thanks! Alex

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a set on my bike now from a 2009 Ultra (that's the 13" version). I like them for comfort but when riding 2-up and packed up for a trip I tend to bottom out. So I'm putting on a new set of shocks Thursday and ditching these. Thought about keeping them because I do like the way they float like a cadillac when riding alone but realistically I won't be swapping back and forth between shocks.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

What's the stock eye to eye shock length on a touring model? 13"?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd stay away from aftermarket - I got a set of chrome ones because they looked nice and were way cheaper than the HD ones (from dealer) but took them off 2 weeks later because they were crap..........bottomed out all over the place. Replaced them with a take off set of standard height (13") HD air shocks - 54565-09 If you get some look for the -09 version, they are supposed to be able to handle higher pressures (up to 60lbs I think) but I can't verify this. I'm happy with mine though, much better ride than the stock shocks, have done nothing bad in the handling dept, can be adjusted for load and at least for the longer one...........dirt cheap at only $52 even though they are virtually new. The will raise the rear of your bob though so if you want lower look for the lowering shocks which I think are 11" - they will cost more, probably $150ish on ebay - get as close to new as you can and make sure they were capped on removal or the oil level will be an unknown - though they can be refilled, there's a few threads on that.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Yup 13" on the Ultra, Classic...etc.

The Street Glide, and I think one other model of touring bike use the "low profile" 12.5" shock already.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks! I think the HD lower shocks will never get that low.
Do you think 13 looks good when you sit on it? I don't have to lower my bike but this is an option.

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Yup 13" on the Ultra, Classic...etc.

The Street Glide, and I think one other model of touring bike use the "low profile" 12.5" shock already.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I like yours, you have the tubing kits installed, am I right? Where do you place the valve? I have seen shock air valves pointing up, can you flip the shock 180 and make the valves upside down, it looks much better in my opinion.

Originally Posted by p51bombay
I'd stay away from aftermarket - I got a set of chrome ones because they looked nice and were way cheaper than the HD ones (from dealer) but took them off 2 weeks later because they were crap..........bottomed out all over the place. Replaced them with a take off set of standard height (13") HD air shocks - 54565-09 If you get some look for the -09 version, they are supposed to be able to handle higher pressures (up to 60lbs I think) but I can't verify this. I'm happy with mine though, much better ride than the stock shocks, have done nothing bad in the handling dept, can be adjusted for load and at least for the longer one...........dirt cheap at only $52 even though they are virtually new. The will raise the rear of your bob though so if you want lower look for the lowering shocks which I think are 11" - they will cost more, probably $150ish on ebay - get as close to new as you can and make sure they were capped on removal or the oil level will be an unknown - though they can be refilled, there's a few threads on that.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 128auto
Thanks! I think the HD lower shocks will never get that low.
Do you think 13 looks good when you sit on it? I don't have to lower my bike but this is an option.
Yeah when you sit on it, these things squat down considerably. That's why I wouldn't go with a 12.5" version because you're losing additional travel room that you actually need. If you look in my sig pic that's the 13" shock. It doesn't sit up all high and dorky I don't think.

I don't know what it is really, but I think the geometry of the Dyna rear end shock mounts make these touring shocks less effective than when they're mounted on a touring bike. What I'm saying is the Dyna rear end can compress the shocks easier (at least it seems that way to me). So going with a shorter version just isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I have a set on my bike now from a 2009 Ultra (that's the 13" version). I like them for comfort but when riding 2-up and packed up for a trip I tend to bottom out. So I'm putting on a new set of shocks Thursday and ditching these. Thought about keeping them because I do like the way they float like a cadillac when riding alone but realistically I won't be swapping back and forth between shocks.
That's funny - I have the same shocks and virtually never bottom them solo or 2 up whether on city streets, interstate or 2 lane twisty roads. I wonder if yours are low on oil - did you get them new and where they capped when you got them?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Wyde Glyde Bry, thanks so much! One more question, what year touring model will fit? I am trying to find used one on craigslist, new is around $280 from HD, not too bad tho.

Quick Reply: Air shocks option