Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bag or Not to Bag?? (part II)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Bag or Not to Bag?? (part II)

I posted this same post over in the touring forum, and received a lot of responses along the lines of:

"Don't ride a bagger unless you really are ready to buy one, because you will really really want one!"

"I bought an electro street road king ultra classic glide and have never looked back..."

I'm curious what kind of responses I would get in comparison from the dyna crowd...

Here's what I posted in the touring forum ->

Against my better judgement, I let my GF talk me into letting her go for a ride on the back of a friend's Electro Glide Classic the other night. After a ride on the back seat sofa of the EGC, she's not nearly as keen on the nicely padded Mustang back seat of my Wide Glide and was asking if "we" (read me) could get a bagger.

I've never ridden a bagger, but just sitting on my friends bike it seems SO much bigger than my Wide Glide. I love the way my Wide Glide handles and it fits me about perfectly.

Any of you made the switch? Did you keep your Dyna? I just don't think I could live without my Wide Glide, but I can see the benefits of a true bagger for touring. We do have several 1000 mile 2 up trips planned this summer.

Thoughts? Dunno if I could actually afford to keep two horses in the stable, but hey, the credit crunch is over, right?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on getting a Road King when I have my Bob paid off, then stripping the Bob back down to a true Bobber. (2-3 years)

Until then, I told the wife she has to take what she can get.

That said, I already have 5k miles on the bike this riding season. Been to NM twice. Going to MT next weekend, and then to Canada and back down to Sturgis in August. It suits our needs fine. Only time I dream of a big bike is:

1. Crappy back woods highways (which I love to use)
2. Heavy rain
3. Heavy wind

But get what you want, and what you can afford. I personally hate the way all the tour bikes feel and how they "fit" me, but all of my tour friends have told me it grows on you or you get used to it. I just don't see it that way yet.

I know people argue about this, but I still see myself riding the Dyna when I'm alone almost exclusively, even when I have a bagger.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 06-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was lusting after a bagged for quite a while. I had tried different types of throw over style bags to gain convinience and storage but in the end they where never realy a great solution. I love the way the Dyna rides and handles but it did have a few shortcomings for long distance riding. In the end what I did was add a set of factory detachable leather bags and a Mustang touring saddle. I no longer lust for another bike. The way I saw it was for the price of about 3 bike payments on a new bike I could make mine work and still keep the ability to strip it down. If you go this route don't skimp on bags though. You will waste all kinds of time and money trying to make stuff work, the factory ones are very well designed and the fit is perfect.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM
MacBean
Cruiser

this is why you never let the old lady ride on some one elses bike or junk. they will find they like it better and not want to ride yours any more.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
The way I saw it was for the price of about 3 bike payments on a new bike I could make mine work and still keep the ability to strip it down. If you go this route don't skimp on bags though. You will waste all kinds of time and money trying to make stuff work, the factory ones are very well designed and the fit is perfect.
Exactly! I spent $500 on bags, $20 on seat with trade in, Sissy bar, and I am going to upgrade the rear shocks. All in all about $1500 and I am good to go.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

I came back to the Dyna line from an Electra Glide Classic.

It's a nice bike... but regardless of my wife's promises to ride with me often, she almost never did. As I said, it's a nice bike - a TON of storage space. I could take this bike and go serious grocery shopping...

ABS, CRUISE CONTROL (loved that), 6 gallon gas tank, lots of storage. What's not to like?

But... on the other hand, it lacked the "cool" factor.

I traded my eGlide for my street bob - and could not be happier. When I go on long trips, as I frequently do, I throw over my Kuri saddle bags and strap on my bikers friend, and have almost the same amount of storage as I had on my eGlide.

My eGlide was PRACTICAL. Like an ugly girl friend that takes GOOD care of you (if you know what I mean)...

My Street Bob is a hot looking bitch that's up for anything I want to do..

I prefer the hot looking bitch.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by tinker1
I came back to the Dyna line from an Electra Glide Classic.

It's a nice bike... but regardless of my wife's promises to ride with me often, she almost never did. As I said, it's a nice bike - a TON of storage space. I could take this bike and go serious grocery shopping...

ABS, CRUISE CONTROL (loved that), 6 gallon gas tank, lots of storage. What's not to like?

But... on the other hand, it lacked the "cool" factor.

I traded my eGlide for my street bob - and could not be happier. When I go on long trips, as I frequently do, I throw over my Kuri saddle bags and strap on my bikers friend, and have almost the same amount of storage as I had on my eGlide.

My eGlide was PRACTICAL. Like an ugly girl friend that takes GOOD care of you (if you know what I mean)...

My Street Bob is a hot looking bitch that's up for anything I want to do..

I prefer the hot looking bitch.
LMAO +1 on the hot bitch

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bike has saddle bags, a Sundowner seat, highway pegs, windshield, and a variety of luggage that attaches to my sissy bar. It's good to go for touring. Even with all that stuff, its way more agile than a big touring bike.

My gf likes the rear seat on the Sundowner, but she's not a big girl. If I were hauling a bigger woman I might go to a bigger bike, but I really don't want to upgrade to a bigger woman..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I replied on the touring forum when you posted this. I went to the 2011 RoadGlide Ultra from a 2007 SuperGlide. The SuperGlide had the sundowner seat, backrest, and quick detach windshield. It was great for 34000 miles, but I was wandering farther from home. I made the switch for comfort and wanted to match my change in riding style. The funny thing is that the RGU tracks better in tight turns and does not beat me up on secondary roads. Yeah its heavy and it is a pain to walk around in the garage, but its growing on me fast. Some day I may go back to a Dyna or at least get one to play with. I traded mine and got a good deal so I have no regrets. You have to go with the seat of your pants and ride what fits you and your style of riding. If not....you will always want the last bike back. Harley makes lots of models and you can make them in to anything you desire. Go with your own comfort and whatever makes you appreciate the ride.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
maddog76
Cruiser

Its really two different worlds in a many ways, form features mostly to size and weight of bike. It comes down to personal preference. I plan on getting a bagger in a couple years for longer rides and comfort, but absolutely love my bob and don't know if I could ever get rid of it.

Quick Reply: To Bag or Not to Bag?? (part II)