Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom (FXDC) for Touring???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Glide Custom (FXDC) for Touring???

Anyone have a Super Glide Custom (FXDC) set up for touring with a windshield (or fairing), bags, and engine guards (aka crash bars)? What about floor boards instead of foot pegs? Also, what about a better (softer and more comfortable) seat?

I'm interested in your thoughts of a FXDC set up this way and what you think are its advantages versus some of the other Harley models.

Thanks. BTW, if you have any pics of a FXDC set up like this, please feel free to post them. Thanks again.

Chas

Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but thought I'd post it anyway. This is my Wide Glide setup for touring with bags, crash bar and windshield.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Chas63
Tourer

That's a nice looking bike and it's very similar to what I was asking about. In fact, I'm not sure what the difference is in your Wide Glide and the Super Glide Custom. While I might add a few more things if it were mine, yours has most of what I'd want.

How do you like it? Have you ridden it much? Oh, and what year is it, please?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's 2007 and I've put about 4k miles on it. I love it... longest trip in one day was about 300 miles to Rocklahoma. I've only had it a few months and still plan on other ways of dressing it up.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the crash bar for?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I like to keep my streetbob stripped down. But I take it for 300+ miles all the time. With a good full face helmet (I have an arai vector and love it) it s very comfortable at 80 + all day long. Gotta love the 6 speed transmission. I may put a fairing on it at some point and maybe some detachable bags but dynas can go all day long as is from the factory. I did put some adj. hwy pegs on the front for stretching out and its very comfortable. I do recommend a seat change . there are a bunch that work very well. Some of the harley seats , C&C, corbin etc.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Romeo
Tourer

This is my '10 FXDC, set up for touring. See my signature for a list of accessories:

This week I'm replacing the H-D touring seat with a Mustang #79346 wide touring studded solo seat w/driver backrest and matching #79347 studded recessed rear seat.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn't invest in a windshield or foot boards (though the boards are on the list).
I did invest in a mustang seat and a good set of luggage and I am good to go. For my money a good seat is worth every penny if your doing a lotta miles, and was the very first thing on my list of mods.
I've comfortably toured in the company of touring bikes and never felt worse off at the end of the day. The FXDC is as good for touring as it is for the daily commute or just having fun.

If you wanna go hard bags, check out Cycle Visions "baggertail" conversion for dynas. This will give you touring bike hard bags. Its pricey but a really nice setup. Saving my pennies for it myself.

8's

Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
Anyone have a Super Glide Custom (FXDC) set up for touring with a windshield (or fairing), bags...I'm interested in your thoughts of a FXDC set up this way and what you think are its advantages...
The attached photo shows my FXDC setup hillbilly-style for multi-day camping trips. The kit has evolved a bit since that photo, and in fact I have collected the components to do a SOLO hard-bagger conversion, including '09 Road King Police bags, '09 Street Glide rear fender/lights/filler, and a modified vintage Tour-Pak.

Thoughts?

Lockable, rainproof storage.

And compared to a tourer the FXDC is a bit easier for a shorter, slighter-built or handicapped person to handle, weighing considerably less, even w/ luggage. Stand-over seat height is slightly less. It is a little more agile, partly due to this and its' shorter wheelbase. And it is a much simpler bike. Purchase price, dealer service costs, and insurance are considerably less, though tires wear twice as fast.

Attached Thumbnails Super Glide Custom (FXDC) for Touring???-yosemite-10n.jpg  
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's my FXD in the pic below. The pic is a little distorted but you get the idea. I have about 16k on it, and regularly do overnight trips two up. I love it.

Windshield
Sundowner
crash bars
passenger backrest
highway pegs
trunk bag
saddlebags

I can take all that stuff in a few minutes and put on a solo seat, but since it's my commuter I just leave it dressed all the time.

The Super Glides are very versatile bikes. The most bang for your buck in the big v-twin class.

Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom (FXDC) for Touring???