Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with speedo tach data transfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM
b-rad9704
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with speedo tach data transfer

hello all i just bought a new speedo tach combo from harley and went to install it last night but i am having a slight prob. I got the old gauge out very easy dismount all went well til i tried transfer the data and try to calibrate it is what the instructions say. I noted my miles found the data transfer plug. i made sure that it was in the run switch was to run hooked up the transfer data cable and turned it to ING and it was suppose to rapidly transfer and mine did nothing so i am lost now. u was planning on riding today with this but i if i cant get it to work i am going to the old one and mess with after i log some miles.

thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

You don't mention which speedo/tach unit you're plugging in - is it the #70900070-71-72? If so, then I might suggest these tips:

if you happened to disconnect the batt before the install you should go ahead and reconnect to perform the data transfer.
Make sure the transfer cable is correctly/securely attached to the back of the new speedo and the data link port in the fuse box.
Set "Run" switch to run, then turn "IGN" switch to "IGN" (not "ACC"), then watch LED panel on new speedo for any info display.
If all goes according to plan, the word "OK" should appear on the panel in only a couple of seconds or so.
Disconnect data cable and go ahead and finish install of unit into console.

If you get no response from your new speedo after doing all the above, you might have an issue with the unit itself. Hope it works out.
~

Old 07-02-2011, 04:11 PM
b-rad9704
2nd Gear

sorry it is tach speedo combo 70900070 didnt disconnect the battery but may try to disconnect then reconnect may work i will see what happens thanks for the tip i will try again

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Bobby9621
Tourer

My data transfer was so quick I didn't get a chance to see it. The red indicator on the new guage confirmed by blinking so I do know, and I verified the miles to confirm the transfer worked. Mileage was off by one or two miles.

If you beleive the transfer may have worked, plug in the new guage and verify the mileage. If it didn't then attempt to use your factory gauge so you can ride this weekend. Tomorrow is another day.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM
b-rad9704
2nd Gear

well guys i do believe i have figured out my prob. I just happened to look and the back of the speedo/tach combo and the item number reads 7090068 not 7090070 like the box reads they sent me the wrong one have no idea what it goes to but i am assuming thats my prob.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure you have the right port? There's two with the same connection but only one is to the ecm.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
nhgoodrich
Stage I
Unhappy

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Are you sure you have the right port? There's two with the same connection but only one is to the ecm.
I am having the same problem; connect the data link, switch to run, turn to IGN, nada...
i disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected, re-set all cables, nada...

i found the one ECM (or i think it was the ECM) did not see another plug that looked like this one, would both be behind the battery???

thanks for your help...

Old 07-04-2011, 03:09 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by nhgoodrich
"i found the one ECM (or i think it was the ECM) did not see another plug that looked like this one, would both be behind the battery???"
See attached thumbnails -

~

Attached Thumbnails help with speedo tach data transfer-4.jpg   help with speedo tach data transfer-5.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
cmorgutz
Stage I

will this work with a double 4" trim to a single 5", for a 2007 FXDL or is it alot more involved, i cracked my speedo glass so i'm in the shopping market. the OEM is steep for plain jane.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
fat rob ona fat bob
Stage I

Originally Posted by p51bombay
You are a genius my man. The original instructions that came with my new speedo for my 2011 Fat Bob said to hook up to the data transfer port under the seat. That is hilarious! After trying for 2 hours, I finally read this forum and took your advice. The port needed for a speedo swap is on the left side of the bike behind the fuse cover. Easy after you find the right ECM.

Quick Reply: help with speedo tach data transfer