Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle Roller Chain conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle Roller Chain conversion question

I can get my hands on the SE hydraulic tensioner upgrade for really cheap from a buddy who did not use it. My bike is a 2000, so this upgrade would use my existing "silent chain" and rear sprocket because of the ignition trigger.

Here is my question, Andrews makes a kit that replaces that sprocket with the new style and includes the trigger. They also sell this sprocket separately. Would this sprocket be compatible with the SE kit? So could I purchase the SE kit and the Andrews sprocket and use the new style chain that comes with the SE kit instead of my old chain?

And a question on cams. With the SE kit, I am assuming I need to use "conversion" cams? Not really and issue since I want Andrews 37s more than likely and they make them in conversion, but I can get a set of standard 37s at my local indie on clearance.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I found my answer on the cams, the SE kit uses an outer cam bearing like the old style cam plate, and the new camplates don't have an outer bearing. So if I used the SE camplate, I need to use standard chain drive cams for 99-06 models. The conversion cams are for those who switch to the new style (not SE) camplate with no outer bearings. Still don't know if I can just get the SE kit and use the andrews sprocket to use the new style chain though.

Ideally, I could use the SE kit with the Andrews sprocket and new chain that comes with the SE kit, and then put in the standard chain drive 37b cams that my local indie has on clearance.